Show design puzzle

This is an honest question, not rhetorical and not a rant. I'm not trolling, and would appreciate non-defensive answers, even though my question may sound provocative.

Does anyone here know what the show designers are trying to convey with the writhing, contorted posturing, crouching, squatting, reclining and grimacing? Is this a popular style with no intended meaning? Is it just motion intended to create visual interest? Is it supposed to express emotion? Is it interpretive dance intended to tell a story? A blend of marching and dance?

Watching, I feel confused, and I'd really like to know what the designers have in mind.

I'm with you all the way with these questions. I scratch my head over the seemingly unrelated body contortions. Wish it would stop.

• 1 month later...

They are trying to give activity to the visual space without having to pivot the feet of the ensemble into another drill formation or transition. It looks like movement.

Some call it modern dance?  Others say it is an expression of art?  I'm not sold on either option other than to think the visual guys listened to some talk about interpretation after they ran out of drill ideas or creativity. imho.

Edited by xandandl

I don't know that designers are trying to convey anything.  It's simply added visual vocabulary.  They're not necessarily trying to convey anything with strict marching.  The body stuff is just a different way for corps to switch up their visual repertoire.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With few exceptions it’s visual designers not knowing what they are doing so they are just tossing some movement in there so the corps is not left behind on the visual sheets.

• Like 1