Top 12 2018: likes, not quites, and trends

Thanks for the detailed and thoughtful review!  I agree with the vast majority of what you said, especially regarding Regiment and Blue Knights.  I disagree on Cavaliers - I think in broad strokes the theme was pretty straightforward, and I wholeheartedly agree with your analysis of what Blue Devils are trying to do out there... I'm just not a fan of it.

Regarding making percussion memorable to non drummers, to me (a drummer for 30 years, but did not go to Juliard) the issue is that features are incredibly technically demanding now, but in ways not obvious to a casual observer.  Alternate stickings, 5, 7 and 9-lets, triplet patterns starting on back beats, up beats and everything in between are ideas that only mad scientists cold have imagined back in the day, but honestly, the audience has *no* idea what they're doing. 

My advice, if you're going for the "singing it on the way out" crowd - keep the big beats simple.  There's a reason everyone can still sing Cavaliers' Fight Club break from '02.  There's also a reason nobody can sing the triplet/fivelet backsticking and drum-to-drum feature that happened literally right before it.

Mike

• 9 months later...

My gosh, this is obviously way late, but it's my first venture to this area of DCP. Indeed, what a well thought out review that pointed out so many of the nuances of the various performances I hadn't even noticed. Please come back in August '19. 

Love this summary post. Would love to see this updated and maintained for the 2019 season