Pioneer Member Rant

16 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Only 1 hour and 20 minutes away, 90 miles west of Milwaukee where Pioneer resides, is a pretty darn good up-and-coming corps from Oregon, WI.  SHADOW, as they are called. We enjoyed their show last week at prelims. Looks like Wisconsin is in good hands.  I’d suggest anyone at PIO checking them out. Until then, Pioneer needs to clean house, structure an independent board, hire a qualified director, and begin looking like, and acting like, a World Class drum corps. If not, shut them down. There are plenty of other options as witnessed by the tremendous growth of Open Class and a resurgence of  many other corps throughout DCI. 

By the way, how many times will corps fall prey to dictator directors that also control their own board? 

Kids and parents should vote with their feet.  I know not everyone wants to drive five hours to practice, and I may be missing a few, but if memory serves within a two or three state region there is...   Blue Stars, Bluecoats, Cavies, Colts, Colts Cadets, Madison, Phantom, Legends, River City, Shadow are all within a two or three state drive...  I assume soundsport / WGI opportunities abound as well.     Lots of really great options for those kids, no matter what skill level there is somewhere pretty darn good to march within a few hours ride.  Just my .02.

Edited by mkelley
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cainan said:

As a moderator, I tend to stay out of commenting on these "hot" topics, but this one I simply can't... 

What will it take for DCI to ACTUALLY DO something? Does a member have to get actually raped, seriously injured or God forbid KILLED before DCI as an organisation pulls their collective heads out of their backsides??!! 

Clearly it did since that is what it took for DCI to react to the Cadets issues. There are other issues the DCI board is aware of and has taken no action against. They have NOT been transparent with the public. They are hiding from the media. They should be ashamed of themselves. The whole lot. Clean house. Start fresh with people who have their priorities in order. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Clearly it did since that is what it took for DCI to react to the Cadets issues. There are other issues the DCI board is aware of and has taken no action against. They have NOT been transparent with the public. They are hiding from the media. They should be ashamed of themselves. The whole lot. Clean house. Start fresh with people who have their priorities in order. 

It took bad publicity in the case of the Cadets....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cainan said:

If that means that Pioneer is made example of then so be it in my humble opinion

I can't get passed that "The Powers To Be" all of them are not aware of their personal liability if the worst does come to past. Am bewildered, look around exects are going to jail for all kinds of liability issues involving kids. That is why I think we will see some real action soon, this all takes time, right now no one is at risk.

Maybe we see resignations, firings, cute I am moving on press releases and not arrests. It's all up in the air their own livelihood, never work in your field again or jail, hanging right over their heads. We ran out of sand no place to hide.

PS love Les Miz this year will we see a stream of the finals?

18 minutes ago, Cainan said:

As a moderator, I tend to stay out of commenting on these "hot" topics, but this one I simply can't... 

What will it take for DCI to ACTUALLY DO something? Does a member have to get actually raped, seriously injured or God forbid KILLED before DCI as an organisation pulls their collective heads out of their backsides??!! And don't give me this BS that DCI "is the individual corps"... THAT is half the bloody problem! They are at MINIMUM a $10+ MILLION a year organisation. The organisation needs an INDEPENDENT board that is not made up of yes men that are so closely involved with the individual corps. As the organising body for the junior corps activity in America, they have a moral responsibility and obligation for ensuring member health and safety. At the end of the day, no student (if we are an educational activity... that's what the members are.. students)should have to expect that they will be physically endangered or abused in order to take part in this activity.

If that means that Pioneer is made example of then so be it in my humble opinion. I'd rather have one less corps than one dead kid.

you're cute when you're angry

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Had the story not gone public... NOTHING would have been done. It was only due to bad publicity that any semblance of "action" was taken.. and from what I can see, DCI didn't really do sod all... The Cadets alumni are the only ones who seems to actually do anything!

1 hour ago, Cainan said:

What will it take for DCI to ACTUALLY DO something? Does a member have to get actually raped, seriously injured or God forbid KILLED before DCI as an organisation pulls their collective heads out of their backsides??!! And don't give me this BS that DCI "is the individual corps"... THAT is half the bloody problem! They are at MINIMUM a $10+ MILLION a year organisation. The organisation needs an INDEPENDENT board that is not made up of yes men that are so closely involved with the individual corps. As the organising body for the junior corps activity in America, they have a moral responsibility and obligation for ensuring member health and safety. At the end of the day, no student (if we are an educational activity... that's what the members are.. students)should have to expect that they will be physically endangered or abused in order to take part in this activity.

If that means that Pioneer is made example of then so be it in my humble opinion. I'd rather have one less corps than one dead kid.

i agree with everything here, and (despite my policy of not reading the comments) the other members of this year's Pio commenting on that thread there may have been borderline SA going on without the administration knowing or playing the ostrich. The OP of that thread even posted a canned response from Dan A after the OP emailed him. If nothing comes out of the September meetings then someone needs to go to someone of influence. IMHO, the corps having the autonomy they traditionally have needs to be limited,

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

canned, filtered rah rah  from the PR/communications department. 

• Like 2