Pioneer Member Rant

56 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Those were the days where we had a local drum corps circuit.  So many people wouldn't be able to stand listening to younger kids learning anymore.  It's sad that the snobs have taken over.  I really miss those days in this context of watching all the younger kids learning to play and march drum corps.

You can still see that by visiting your local elementary or high school.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I guess I’ll dig into the archives here and bring up DCM.  Division 2 corps (now open class)  would regularly beat Pioneer and not make finals but every single open class corps (now world class) would make finals.  And why do you think that was?  I’ll give you one guess. 

Regularly?  I only remember that happening in 2002.

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think it was from about ‘99 to ‘02.  And then DCM wasn’t DCM anymore.  

I am looking at the DCM prelim scores, and I do not see any lower division corps outscoring Pioneer in 1999, 2000 or 2001.

As for why all division I corps made finals in the later years of DCM, you would have to ask the voting members from 1992, the last time a division I corps was cut.  Colts were the lone division I corps cut in 1992, 1991, 1990, 1989 and 1988.  Pioneer would not move up to division I until 1997, so the change was not made for their benefit.

Just now, cixelsyd said:

I am looking at the DCM prelim scores, and I do not see any lower division corps outscoring Pioneer in 1999, 2000 or 2001.

As for why all division I corps made finals in the later years of DCM, you would have to ask the voting members from 1992, the last time a division I corps was cut.  Colts were the lone division I corps cut in 1992, 1991, 1990, 1989 and 1988.  Pioneer would not move up to division I until 1997, so the change was not made for their benefit.

Ok I stand corrected. 

4 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Those were the days where we had a local drum corps circuit.  So many people wouldn't be able to stand listening to younger kids learning anymore.  It's sad that the snobs have taken over.  I really miss those days in this context of watching all the younger kids learning to play and march drum corps.

I know some people BITD had issues with some of these corps 30 years ago. Now, the competitive HS bands have replaced that scene, they're today's feeder corps with insanely varying degrees of excellence.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Higgy said:

Can’t remember the year, but wasn’t Magic of Orlando “forced” to compete in Div II when the became active again? It was obvious competitive wise they should have been in Div I. They ended up winning Div II and even made finals in Div I. 

That is because Magic, like any corps that has been gone for more than one year, was treated like a "new corps".  All "new corps" must work their way up through the second division.

Same thing happened to Capital Regiment when they returned in 2009 after missing the two previous seasons.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

It changed in the late 90s or early 00s when DCI changed the tour so all World Class Corps were required to tour beginning mid June - finals in Aug.  Prior to that tours were broken down into a June tour, back home for a few weeks in Jul (which is when the DCM championships happened), followed by second DCI tour mid-July to finals.  This is what allowed Madison to completely redo show in 1976 - they pulled out of a bunch of DCM shows. It was also cheaper because the members were 'home' therefore the Corps didn't need to feed them.   But, because by the early 00s Corps members weren't from where the Corps was based, it didn't make sense come 'home' in July.  When Phantom, Cavies, Madison, Glassmen, et al pulled out of DCM it was only a matter of time before DCM died  (SF Renegades came at least once to compete w MN Brass & Kilties, that propped it up for a while. (funny aside - between prelims & finals, the ReneGuard went to the mall to kill time - they stayed in their BDSM-inspired black leather uniforms & made quite an impression on the locals)) .  At the end, Pioneer was the only World-class Corps, so they were by default the DCM Champs.  But they were also in last place as well