Medal Count

Just to keep up some post season banter, I thought looking at some medal facts from the DCI era would be a cool thing which I'm sure most of you already know ha!

fBOxNdo.png

• Only 10 corps have won a World Championship and only 14 corps have medaled in the DCI era
  • 3 of those corps are no longer active. Star of Indiana, Anaheim Kingsmen, and 27th Lancers
  • The Blue Devils have won 36% of all championships and has received 26% of all medals awarded
  • Compared to other competitive sports most championships: New York Yankees have won 24% of all World Series, Boston Celtics have won 23% of all Finals, and Pittsburgh Steelers have won 12% of all Superbowls
  • The top 3 most awarded corps have won 59% of all medals and the top 4 have won 72% of all medals awarded
  • Carolina Crown was the newest corp to the medal stand in 2009, 19 years after Star of Indiana first medaled in 1990
  • Bluecoats followed the year after, medaling in 2010 and is the newest corp to medal
  • In the past 5 seasons (2014-2018), 5 corps have earned a medal. Blue Devils, Bluecoats, Carolina Crown, Santa Clara Vangaurd, and The Cadets
  • In that time period Blue Devils earned 5 medals, Bluecoats earned 4 medals, Carolina Crown earned 3 medals, Santa Clara Vanguard earned 2 medals, and the Cadets earned 1 medal.
  • In 2018, Santa Clara Vanguard tied The Cadets for 2nd most all time medals with 23, and Bluecoats tied Madison Scouts for 6th most all time medals with 5
  • Santa Clara Vanguard also tied The Cavaliers for 3rd most championships with 7
  • Of the current active corps, only 6 have medalled since the Madison Scouts won in 1988

Like I said most of you probably knew most of this and I think there was already a thread over some of this but it was interesting to learn some of this information myself. Anything that stood out to any of you? Correct me if any of these numbers are off. I triple checked but we all make mistakes. 

Who do you think will be the newest corps to break into the medal stand?

Who do you think the DCI champions will be over the next 5 years?

• Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, seen-it-all said:

Then again, since it's all about stats and the minutia that comes with it, DCI didn't always award "medals." So shouldn't there be a pre-medal era of DCI?

I suppose there should be! I just took all the data from DCI historical scores, starting from 1972 until now! I personally wouldn't even know where to find anything before then though I'm sure I could surf around. I have plenty of time before I head back to school haha!

Aside from the tie in Bronze, Blue Devils have the most of every medal type, and they're also the only corps with double digit silvers. Wow.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, OhioBoy_99 said:
  • 3 of those corps are no longer active. Star of Indiana, Anaheim Kingsmen, and 27th Lancers

Four - you forgot Bridgemen. But fun analysis. Thank you.

13 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Four - you forgot Bridgemen. But fun analysis. Thank you.

Ah yes. That was one I was iffy on since they still have an organization that compete in some events not related to DCI as the others do not I believe, but as far as competing on the field in DCI, I should've considered them inactive. Thank you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seen-it-all said:

Then again, since it's all about stats and the minutia that comes with it, DCI didn't always award "medals." So shouldn't there be a pre-medal era of DCI?

2000 was the first year it was announced at finals who received 'medals.'

That year no silver medals were awarded.

Next to medal for the first time, or win a championship...Boston. 

Edited by ibexpercussion
changed to "first" from "firt"
  • Like 3