Stealing other corps stuff...

When did this become something “every corps does”?

There a post over on reddit showing a member of one corps with an item that clearly belonged to another corps, and some people are actually defending it as a common occurrence!!!! When I marched, albeit 20 years ago, if anyone in the corps flat out stole things from members of another corps, that was dismissal and the nearest bus stop home. I can’t imagine that this has become acceptable.

Edited by fireshane1
Missed word

12 minutes ago, fireshane1 said:

When did this become something “every corps does”?

There a post over on reddit showing a member of one corps with an item that clearly belonged to another corps. When I marched, albeit 20 years ago, if anyone in the corps flat out stole things from members of another corps, that was dismissal and the nearest bus stop home. I can’t imagine that this has become just a common occurrence.

I remember wayyyyyyy back in the day a corps stealing a corps uniform and stuffing and burning it. kinda like the BAC show last year ( the burning not the uniform ). BUT with that said, do we know it was stolen? Do we know it wasn't just made? It is the internet and a lot of truth can be subjectable.

Edited by GUARDLING

2 minutes ago, seen-it-all said:

It's a throwback to another era when corps were more community-based, like stealing the mascot of the rival team, etc. Not saying I condone it, but I've known of things like this happening for several years, though far more infrequently nowadays.

Agree.. it was more common than now

19 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I remember wayyyyyyy back in the day a corps stealing a corps uniform and stuffing and burning it. kinda like the BAC show last year ( the burning not the uniform ). BUT with that said, do we know it was stolen? Do we know it wasn't just made? It is the internet and a lot of truth can be subjectable.

This sorta indicates that they stole it and were proud of it. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/dakotagroves/status/1031048673956978688?s=21

In 2009 as I recall the retelling of the incident, a member of The Cavaliers absconded on his bus with a full uniform from the Blue Devils who had just beaten them at Drums Across the Rockies. The two corps went separate directions after the Denver contest. Other Cavalier members turned their brother into Cavaliers corps director Bruno Zuccala who had to decide what to do with the member and the return of the uniform. It is said that when Blue Devils director David Gibbs learned from Bruno of the theft, Gibbs wanted lawyers and cops involved to prosecute the Cavalier member to the full extent of criminal action. Cooler heads prevailed. Bruno gathered his corps members and had them discuss and vote what to do with the member. His Cavaliers corpsmates voted to send the young man home for the rest of the season. The Cavaliers did exactly that and made sure the uniform and apology was returned to the Devils. Since then and most recently this paragraph appears in the Cavaliers member handbook...2017 version given here, page 14.

"Theft Theft of personal, public, housing site, school, or other property will not be tolerated. The Corps Director or a designated member of the Management Team will address issues with theft. If a theft is found to have occurred, actions may include dismissal from the organization and/or involvement of local authorities if the situation warrants. If incidents of theft are witnessed or suspected, they should be immediately reported to the Corps Director or a member of the management team for investigation and resolution."

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, xandandl said:

In 2009 as I recall the retelling of the incident, a member of The Cavaliers absconded on his bus with a full uniform from the Blue Devils who had just beaten them at Drums Across the Rockies. The two corps went separate directions after the Denver contest. Other Cavalier members turned their brother into Cavaliers corps director Bruno Zuccala who had to decide what to do with the member and the return of the uniform. It is said that when Blue Devils director David Gibbs learned from Bruno of the theft, Gibbs wanted lawyers and cops involved to prosecute the Cavalier member to the full extent of criminal action. Cooler heads prevailed. Bruno gathered his corps members and had them discuss and vote what to do with the member. His Cavaliers corpsmates voted to send the young man home for the rest of the season. The Cavaliers did exactly that and made sure the uniform and apology was returned to the Devils. Since then and most recently this paragraph appears in the Cavaliers member handbook...2017 version given here, page 14.

"Theft Theft of personal, public, housing site, school, or other property will not be tolerated. The Corps Director or a designated member of the Management Team will address issues with theft. If a theft is found to have occurred, actions may include dismissal from the organization and/or involvement of local authorities if the situation warrants. If incidents of theft are witnesses or suspected, they should be immediately reported to the Corps Director or a member of the management team for investigation and resolution."

cant get PMs?

• Like 1

If there is a positive light. Could this just be some, otherwise great kids letting off some steam? Because it is posted online isn't it just a game. Going down the path that this is anything else. Shouldn't we be reviewing arrest and police reports? Stealing something of value and posting about it online can't be the same kids that we say is so bright and wonderful otherwise, could it?