Stealing other corps stuff...

This is pretty despicable if you ask me, regardless of the history or whatever behind stealing other corps stuff. Crown’s hammer seems to be a pretty symbolic thing for the past few years, rude to brag about stealing it. MM’s have a whole summer surrounded by friends and competition, structured days (and free ones!) and downtime. Plenty of time to blow off steam without stealing from other kids. 

This is a relatively common occurrence among highschool and college ages kids. 

A member of one group takes something symbolic or meaningful to another group. This item is often important to the group it was taken from but does not interfere with the actual operations of the group (i.e. stealing is stealing but it wasn't like an instrument was stolen) and the individual or group of individuals taking it generally have no use for it other than to show it off as a trophy.

Stealing mascots or gavels or something like this hammer has  been going on for ages. 

Unfortunately I think it has to be explicitly written in handbooks/policy as it has been in the Cavaliers to not take stuff from other corps or there will be consenquences... because these kids clearly see it as a harmless game.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, fireshane1 said:

When did this become something “every corps does”?

There a post over on reddit showing a member of one corps with an item that clearly belonged to another corps, and some people are actually defending it as a common occurrence!!!! When I marched, albeit 20 years ago, if anyone in the corps flat out stole things from members of another corps, that was dismissal and the nearest bus stop home. I can’t imagine that this has become acceptable.

It's not acceptable, but it has always happened. And I guarantee, it happened when you marched.

My thoughts:

- The idea of the Crown Hammer is stupid. It's the sort of useless object that pretty much begs to get stolen. It's the same sort of nonsense as those baseball bats the Carolina Panthers used to walk around with a few years ago: an empty symbol of false hype that does nothing but take up space.

- Even though stealing is not a recent thing, the idea of posing with it in your uniform and posting it to social media is pretty egregious/stupid. Even if this kid is an age-out, they're going to get a pretty harsh punishment.

- The general consensus on reddit seems to be: wow, get a load of that idiot.

• Thanks 1

From the Blue Devils handbook:

Principles

Our Principles guide our behavior and conduct. Our Principles are one of our Core Values and are the foundation for realizing our Vision and Mission.

• Do the right thing: We are committed to doing the right thing as an organization and as individuals. Integrity drives ethical behavior and is critical to our enduring global reputation.
  • Be Respectful: Respecting others fosters dignity, self-esteem and collaboration which is critical to our mission. Respect applies to people, cultures, laws and customs across our global activities. Attitude, Manners and Language that promote a positive, creative environment are important to healthy relationships and to achieving our vision and mission.

Stealing: Stealing is illegal and not tolerated. Examples in the past have been taking other people shoes, plumes, uniform parts, clothing, wallets, school property, etc. These and any other offenses will be dealt with severely.

Uniform Etiquette

Being a part of BDPA means that you are now a member of one of the finest performing groups in the activity and are responsible for continuing the our trademark tradition of excellence in performance and appearance. The following guidelines are to be followed in wearing and caring for your uniform.

Each drum corps musician uniform consists of a plume, shako, shirt, vest, jacket, pants, black socks, black shoes, and black gloves. Make sure that your uniform is always complete, and is stored properly between performances.

Remember that when you have on your uniform, you are a representative of the entire BDPA organization. Please exercise common sense and good judgment in your choice of language and behavior.

These guidelines are few and simple. They are designed to ensure that you will experience the competitive advantage and the professional appearance that is yours as a member of BDPA.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar said:

It's not acceptable, but it has always happened. And I guarantee, it happened when you marched.

My thoughts:

- The idea of the Crown Hammer is stupid. It's the sort of useless object that pretty much begs to get stolen. It's the same sort of nonsense as those baseball bats the Carolina Panthers used to walk around with a few years ago: an empty symbol of false hype that does nothing but take up space.

- Even though stealing is not a recent thing, the idea of posing with it in your uniform and posting it to social media is pretty egregious/stupid. Even if this kid is an age-out, they're going to get a pretty harsh punishment.

- The general consensus on reddit seems to be: wow, get a load of that idiot.

I agree with you, except for the part about the hammer being stupid.  We all remember the long hard days, and how something "stupid" sometimes broke up the monotony.  I hope it was returned after this stunt.  

• Like 2

Curious how that hotel would feel knowing they had stolen property in one of the rooms. :peek:

11 minutes ago, Ediker said:

I agree with you, except for the part about the hammer being stupid.  We all remember the long hard days, and how something "stupid" sometimes broke up the monotony.  I hope it was returned after this stunt.  

Fair point.

I hope it gets returned too, but the college football fan in me hopes it turns into a trophy rivalry ... get "BD Brass" or whatever engraved on the other side. Whoever scores higher gets to take home the hammer. Just like Paul Bunyon's axe between MN-WI (hopefully not as one-sided).

• Haha 1