Don Warrens Book - Autographed

6 hours ago, Tim K said:

You’d be surprised at what people bring to used book dealers. Cape Cod used to have tons of used book stores. There was a used bookstore on the Cape that had a deal. Fill a grocery store paper bag with books and you had a choice, you could get one dollar for the bag or get five dollars worth of books. In one of the bags was a novel by Charles Dickens signed by the author himself when he toured the United States after the Civil War. According to the store owner who knew the value and didn’t want to take advantage of the situation, the person didn’t care. He was moving and didn’t have the space. That was about forty years ago. I’d love to know the value today. 

When Moe LaTour toured with the Cadets, we'd make a deliberate stop together at a number of used book stores. I was searching for tomes for my master's and later doctoral dissertation (no computers for some sources back then, Moe would seek out original pen and ink illustrations from old books. He'd later frame them and sell the set in his store in New Orleans. He called it his "Tour money."  Audubon books with the bird illustrations did quite well. Somehow DCI arranged it's shows for the Cadets to coincide with a number of book store sales, especially two I can think of in Cape Cod near where the corps would be billeting in Sandwich.

33 minutes ago, xandandl said:

When Moe LaTour toured with the Cadets, we'd make a deliberate stop together at a number of used book stores. I was searching for tomes for my master's and later doctoral dissertation (no computers for some sources back then, Moe would seek out original pen and ink illustrations from old books. He'd later frame them and sell the set in his store in New Orleans. He called it his "Tour money."  Audubon books with the bird illustrations did quite well. Somehow DCI arranged it's shows for the Cadets to coincide with a number of book store sales, especially two I can think of in Cape Cod near where the corps would be billeting in Sandwich.

Titcomb’s is in Sandwich. Is Parnassus in Yarmouth the second? Both are on 6A.

Just now, Tim K said:

Titcomb’s is in Sandwich. Is Parnassus in Yarmouth the second? Both are on 6A.

I don't remember the names, being too tired from tour usually and just making sure I knew directions to/and from to get the food van back to  the school in time for EPL and BIS. No GPS then.

2 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I don't remember the names, being too tired from tour usually and just making sure I knew directions to/and from to get the food van back to  the school in time for EPL and BIS. No GPS then.

Titcomb’s offers both new and used, more of the rare and antique variety, Parnassus  is in an old general store, with books everywhere, and is a fire trap, but you can find just about anything there.

Just now, Tim K said:

Titcomb’s offers both new and used, more of the rare and antique variety, Parnassus  is in an old general store, with books everywhere, and is a fire trap, but you can find just about anything there.

Sounds right.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

My wife got it for me in 08 and he signed it. Great book 

Only up to mid 1950s as busy with that dang j.o.b. Only wish is more pictures. So far my favs are the Watkins Glen Squires book by Jud Speena(sp) as met Jud at DCA one year. That and the Boys of 76 book that covers between the world wars.

Edited by JimF-LowBari