DCA Final Regular-Season Weekend

It's the last weekend of DCA shows before championships.... three shows on the schedule.

Reading, PA, and Seymour CT, on Saturday. Hiram, GA, on Sunday.

Big weekend for corps looking to either get a seeding score, or improve on an existing one.

Buccaneers and Cadets2 head to head in Reading... should be interesting.  Plus Caballeros, White Sabers, Bushwackers, and Skyliners. Also the debut of Highland Regiment and the first U.S. show for Cadence from the UK.

Fusion Core headlines the field at in Seymour. We'll also see if Hurricanes can keep their recent momentum going, and if Sunrisers can stay within shouting distance of them. And will Erie Thunderbirds inch closer to a possible Class A finalist spot?

In Georgia, its Atlanta CV's chance to make a statement... will they be a Top 3 contender again?  Also in that show, the Southern Knights... who are in the mix for Class A finals.

We're heading to Seymour, since my sweetie Brenda is with Caballeros Alumni and I'm her chauffeur. :laughing:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

It's the last weekend of DCA shows before championships.... three shows on the schedule.

Reading, PA, and Seymour CT, on Saturday. Hiram, GA, on Sunday.

Big weekend for corps looking to either get a seeding score, or improve on an existing one.

Buccaneers and Cadets2 head to head in Reading... should be interesting.  Plus Caballeros, White Sabers, Bushwackers, and Skyliners. Also the debut of Highland Regiment and the first U.S. show for Cadence from the UK.

Fusion Core headlines the field at in Seymour. We'll also see if Hurricanes can keep their recent momentum going, and if Sunrisers can stay within shouting distance of them. And will Erie Thunderbirds inch closer to a possible Class A finalist spot?

In Georgia, its Atlanta CV's chance to make a statement... will they be a Top 3 contender again?  Also in that show, the Southern Knights... who are in the mix for Class A finals.

We're heading to Seymour, since my sweetie Brenda is with Caballeros Alumni and I'm her chauffeur. :laughing:

Fran, 

You are lucky. CT has yet to re-instate tolls for you non-Nutmeggers. But both 84 and Merritt Parkway are riddled with construction, tree trimming and dancing deer even on the weekends particularly around the Route 7 interchanges or Mix-Master in Waterbury.  95 will be its usual mess going past Sherwood Island beaches and the slowdown in Blackrock as they decide whether Pepe's Pizza is worth the stop. Route 8 up The Valley has perpetual construction at the Rt 34 interchange; this is sponsored by the Derby Chamber of Commerce so you can say you have been there, noticed the confluence of the Naugatuck and Housatonic Rivers, and ponder why the Hurricanes keep changing hometowns so often as you see Shelton blend into Derby into Ansonia onto Seymour. Once upon a time each of these four hamlets each had a corps. Can you name them still?

Edited by xandandl

7 hours ago, xandandl said:

Fran, 

You are lucky. CT has yet to re-instate tolls for you non-Nutmeggers. But both 84 and Merritt Parkway are riddled with construction, tree trimming and dancing deer even on the weekends particularly around the Route 7 interchanges or Mix-Master in Waterbury.  95 will be its usual mess going past Sherwood Island beaches and the slowdown in Blackrock as they decide whether Pepe's Pizza is worth the stop. Route 8 up The Valley has perpetual construction at the Rt 34 interchange; this is sponsored by the Derby Chamber of Commerce so you can say you have been there, noticed the confluence of the Naugatuck and Housatonic Rivers, and ponder why the Hurricanes keep changing hometowns so often as you see Shelton blend into Derby into Ansonia onto Seymour. Once upon a time each of these four hamlets each had a corps. Can you name them still?

Glad we're getting in before the toll changes. Man... i remember those CT Turnpike tolls well from back in the day.

We are going to leave pretty early Saturday from NJ, with the traffic issues in mind. I actually kinda enjoy driving in the NY/NJ/CT metro area. Almost like being in a real-life video game. :laughing:

I don't remember the names of those corps... but you're right, that area and the Bridgeport area were chock full of local corps years ago. 

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Glad we're getting in before the toll changes. Man... i remember those CT Turnpike tolls well from back in the day.

We are going to leave pretty early Saturday from NJ, with the traffic issues in mind. I actually kinda enjoy driving in the NY/NJ/CT metro area. Almost like being in a real-life video game. :laughing:

I don't remember the names of those corps... but you're right, that area and the Bridgeport area were chock full of local corps years ago. 

You should be fine heading INTO Connecticut on Saturday. The better half and I always have difficulty getting OUT OF CT on our way to Jersey, PA, or even upstate NY on Saturday mornings to head wherever Cabs are that day. We live about 44 miles from the NY line, for example, if we're heading south on 15 to get to NJ or the Allentown area, and it never takes us less than an hour and a quarter. OTOH, we never see ANY traffic problems heading north on 15 or 95.

See you Saturday! Taking a "vacation day" from hawking Cabs swag, and supporting the local corps with an ad in their program and our butts in ticketed seats (We live in Seymour).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigW said:

They were all towns the Hurcs based themselves in at one time or another. :cool:

true too...

I was thinking Shelton, Ct. The Hurricanes 

Derby, CT  The Hurricanes Alumni Corps  AND  the phantom corps much joked about The Derby Commodores (named after Commodore Hull of Old Ironsides fame and a native son of CT's smallest "city.")

Ansonia, CT  The Firettes who competed as an All-Girls corps in the Greater New York Circuit among others.

Seymour, CT  The Seymour Vanguards who also competed as an All-Girls corps in Greater NY.  

With St. Ann's Marionettes of Bridgeport and N.D-ettes from Notre Dame H.S. in Bridgeport/Fairfield (depending on which side of the street one stood,) GNY used to have 4 All-Girls corps within 15 miles along Rt. 8 and would invite St. Ignatius and Audubon Bon-Bons in order to have all-girl shows. But that was back in the 60's and early 70's when couples living together were married and had kids rather than dogs and plants. Only locals know where the boundaries of Shelton/Derby-Ansonia-Seymour begin and end.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, xandandl said:

true too...

I was thinking Shelton, Ct. The Hurricanes 

Derby, CT  The Hurricanes Alumni Corps  AND  the phantom corps much joked about The Derby Commodores (named after Commodore Hull of Old Ironsides fame and a native son of CT's smallest "city.")

Ansonia, CT  The Firettes who competed as an All-Girls corps in the Greater New York Circuit among others.

Seymour, CT  The Seymour Vanguards who also competed as an All-Girls corps in Greater NY.  

With St. Ann's Marionettes of Bridgeport and N.D-ettes from Notre Dame H.S. in Bridgeport/Fairfield (depending on which side of the street one stood,) GNY used to have 4 All-Girls corps within 15 miles along Rt. 8 and would invite St. Ignatius and Audubon Bon-Bons in order to have all-girl shows. But that was back in the 60's and early 70's when couples living together were married and had kids rather than dogs and plants. Only locals know where the boundaries of Shelton/Derby-Ansonia-Seymour begin and end.

I remember the Firettes and the ND-Ettes.

Back in the era when if you added "Ettes" to the end of basically anything, you had the name of an all-girl corps. :laughing:

I also remember doing a number of shows with Sunrisers in the Ansonia/Derby area.  Also Hamden, which was the home of the early-season Fresh Air Fanfare show. Always a great crowd there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fran Haring said:

I remember the Firettes and the ND-Ettes.

Back in the era when if you added "Ettes" to the end of basically anything, you had the name of an all-girl corps. :laughing:

I also remember doing a number of shows with Sunrisers in the Ansonia/Derby area.  Also Hamden, which was the home of the early-season Fresh Air Fanfare show. Always a great crowd there.

Can't live in Hamden now if one doesn't know how to spell and say Quinnipiac.  Nice h.s. stadium for a New England school.

7 hours ago, grenadasmoothie said:

You should be fine heading INTO Connecticut on Saturday. The better half and I always have difficulty getting OUT OF CT on our way to Jersey, PA, or even upstate NY on Saturday mornings to head wherever Cabs are that day. We live about 44 miles from the NY line, for example, if we're heading south on 15 to get to NJ or the Allentown area, and it never takes us less than an hour and a quarter. OTOH, we never see ANY traffic problems heading north on 15 or 95.

See you Saturday! Taking a "vacation day" from hawking Cabs swag, and supporting the local corps with an ad in their program and our butts in ticketed seats (We live in Seymour).

Thanks for the info.  Nice that we have the option of either 95 or the Merritt Parkway on the way in.  Heading back to NJ where we're staying, it should be late enough in the evening to avoid any major traffic issues on 95.

49 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Thanks for the info.  Nice that we have the option of either 95 or the Merritt Parkway on the way in.  Heading back to NJ where we're staying, it should be late enough in the evening to avoid any major traffic issues on 95.

It will be. No worries there.

• Like 1