Exercises you wished you never learned.

bssop97

I've got this one:

The "Blue Star Drill" is a basics exercise where the corps lines up in a company front on one goal line. You march five yards forward, five yards back, ten forward, ten back, fifteen forward...etc. You go all the way to the other side of the field, and then you remove one yardline per time. If you screw up, the whole corps runs back and starts over. If the basics instructor is feeling really grouchy, you might have to do pushups between times. We also do it as a drill-down type thing occassionally.

Interesting...that's totally different from the one we did...must've changed overn the years.

The one time we did it...went like this...

Whole horn line on the goal line -- company front

Mark time, hut -- high lift

When, and ONLY when the line is together on the mark time, forward, hut

Dude in the exact center marches out 8 steps (8 to 5...everyone else is still marking time), then marks time (high lift) for 8, then repeats aaaaaalllllll the way down the field.

When the center dude gets to his first mark time, the two guys on either side of him do the same routine...and so on and so forth until the entire line is doing 8's and 8's for 100 yards.

At the end the entire line is on the opposite goal line in a high lift mark time.

When, and ONLY when the line is together on the mark time, corps, halt.

Stand at attention until the staff is satisfied, the relax...at which point most everyone collapses in agony.

Like I said, we only did it once, and I've LONG since forogtton what we did to earn it...but the drill has stayed with me forever....YEESH!!

The one time we did it...went like this...

That sounds pretty brutally effective ^0^

For me, anything that involved tracking, I generally hated, even though the benefits were obvious. My worst tracking experience was an hour and a half tracking parade we did around Pioneerland in '01 while we were getting ready for Michigan City, playing just warmup exercises. That one had everybody crying at the end.

Another one this year in Cedar Rapids, we did a tracking warmup that consisted of us on the goal-line, doing exercises on an 8-5 down the field, backwards (apparently we didn't sound very good backward marching). If the line had more than three ticks of any sort (music, vis, or whatever) we'd have to run back, do a few 'shups, and reset. Started with just air only and went on from there. Eventually the brass staff showed some mercy and let us do the rest of the warmup facing forwards. That one was two years TO THE DAY after the Pio warmup (thank you Jason Reinhart). At the very end, it was pretty cool because some people across the street started clapping after we did some chord progressions and F9 (which are probably my favorite things to do musically).

Then there were Brian Hildreth's company front drills from last season. He'd start us off pretty simple at first with just the basic step sizes, but eventually we'd get into things like 7-5, 9-5 forward, 11-5 backward... at 200 bpm, perfect for giving you headaches when you tried to process all that stuff while the met was flying, and when he was in your face all the time with his unique brand of encouragement :)

And so as not to sound negative, favorite exercise was anything Bryan Kraft threw at us with techno music as an accompianment. B) :blink: There's nothing like having a DJ for your visual caption. Also, prelims day we ran circle dril at 220, it was fun if for the hype it gave us if not nothing else (although I could have done without the sore knees that also resulted)

Edited by Galen

AHHHH Blue Stars!

Why are the Blue Stars associated with such painful rehersal memories??

The one that I remember in 81 was a brass exercise. From what I recall it was called a five, or ten minute drill and went something like this;

-Horn line in an arc

-The "drill" takes 5 or ten minutes, I forget which one

-Mark time high leg lift

-Long tone for two bars, rest two bars, staccato tonguing for two bars,rest two bars. Move chromatically until the time is up.

-ANY, I mean ANY mistake (that included feet below knee level) and the time would start over.

I forget who came up with this one, it might have been Don Hill or Pierre, but it was deemed to be a "chop builder" and always took place at the end of rehersal.

Ouch

Mark

Oh yes....it certainly WAS. I'm almost positive it violated any number of crime & punishment laws....

Like I said...there was a REASON we only did it once!

Hee hee, I guess the 5th Amendment doesn't apply in drum corps