Build a Drum Corps for under $40K

There has been so much talk latley about how to help corps or how to start a corps. I had an idea a long time ago about how to do this. I am the Executive Director of the Eklipse Youth Organization. We have 2 winterguards, a winter drumline and a new Div. III drum corps.

I have been asked how did you do it? Well DCI was the biggest help! When they passed the rule allowing Bb horns I knew that was my shot. I started with an indoor program in hopes to have a corps someday. After looking into buying horns (over $100,000.00) my ideas changed quickly into being happy with just my indoor program. Then the rule change happened and it opened a door. I started talking to some of my friends that operated local high school bands and started talking about this corps idea and the possiblity of using some horns. Then I had a discussion with the marching band director of a local college. He said that we could probably get some housing there at the university...in one of the unused gyms. I knew at that point that it was possible. I started asking around about interest and I struck gold...if you build it we will come!

After we set up the housing and use of horns form several different parties it was time to get other things lined up. We spoke to a local director about using some of his old uniforms...he said yes! Now we had horns (Local schools and universities) drums and pit equipment (our indoor program...you could borrow them as well) and guard equipment (indoor program as well) and uniforms. You can draw up a contract with these groups to perform maintanance on this borrowed equipment as well.

We had all of our paper work (non-profit designation, incorporation, bank accounts...ect.) already in order becuase of our indoor program so our dealing with DCI in that respect was very easy. I also worked with DCI in what our "season" would be like. I don't mess with high school band programs here in the state of Kentucky...we wouldn't win...so I knew our season would be done at DCI Mid-West Championships in DeKalb. DCI was awesome about working with us. Gave us more shows than what we could hope for and made the process very painless.

Once the season got going we knew we had to watch our money like a hawk. We only had membership fees to work with. Always keep this in mind...it is not your money, it belongs to the kids! Now spend it on them only. Eklipse staff was totally volunteer....everyone....even me. I knew that the entire staff was teaching because they wanted to be there...not to make money. They came to teach because they believed in what it was we were doing. Plus it was in the "off season" and no one was giving up any summer money on band camps...they hadn't started yet. So by eating cheap...but good, and talking every day about where our finanaces were we were able to make it. The only down fall was the fact we had to take several days off. After each show we always had at least one day off but we mostly took off several days in a row to save on food. On those off days the students went home...98% of our kids were local.

So if you don't mind starting of very low key and small (6 shows in 3 weeks of touring with 54 kids). You don't mind doing a half tour and taking some days off. Or you don't mind thinking LLLOOOOOOOONNNGGGG term about the future of your organization...then you can have a drum corps.

Our tour this past year cost us $38,000.00 including transportation, food, truck (Ryder), heads..sticks...and mallets (Thanks to Evans, Pro-Mark) and incidentals.

Build it and they will come...isn't it time to have a corps in every town?

Thanks,

Brad Deason

Eklipse

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's great to see an organization who planns and prepares effectively and doesn't give in to the tendency to go overboard and get way in debt.

Summit Youth Arts in Reno, NV is much like Eklipse - we have our winter guard out this season, plan to add an indoor drum line after and conclude with a drum corps in 5-7 years. We are looking at purchasing a full line of bugles (used or getting sponsors and conducting a capital campaign for new equipment). But our commitment is to fiscal responsibility - we won't field an ensemble until we can do so with limited overhead debt (basically what you need to produce a season).

Sounds like Eklipse is on the ball - we would love to talk with you about what you have learned and maybe you can help the FIRST EVER drum corps from Nevada get on the field!

BTW - if anyone is interested in auditioning for our IA guard email me at ccornwell@summit-youth-arts.org

Marvelous, Brad! Even the big dogs should read this and take a few tips. I congradulate you on being able to have a quality community-centered corps on a shoestring budget. I'm sure your kids are appreciative, too!

I read in a post on another topic that they couldn't start a Drum Corps in Nevada because the kids might spontaneously combust if they stood out on a filed too long there.

I thought it was pretty funny!

I'm up in Canada - I wish we had that same problem here.

It was 35 degrees here last night - almost freezing and it's not even September yet.

Always nice to hear new corps are starting up -

All the best

Kelly

Allegiance Elite

Spontainiously combust :angel: awe little drum corps angels.....how nice! I think this is something that DCI could think on for the future. Have a site or forum or meeting or something that will allow all corps to get together and share ideas. I want to know how Vanguard does things...or how Surf gets such great parent support. And I am sure some people would love to know how my insurance works or how to get people to teach for free. Where there is a void of knowledge there is a world pitfalls...can we really afford those pitfalls?!?! I think we are on the tip of something good here...trying to make a place of free flowing information to help everyone acheive what we all want...good drum corps that will be here forever. I don't want to see another 27th, or Bridgmen, or VK, or any of the other great corps leave us. But with a limited "learn as you go" education we are looking at every new corps starting and even some fo the big boys and saying "Come on in the water is fine...by the way would you hold my hair dryer?"

Thanks to everyone that has said such nice things about Eklipse. We are very proud of what has been built and will everything we can to continue to make all of our supporters proud of us.

Thanks again,

Brad

I also worked with DCI in what our "season" would be like. I don't mess with high school band programs here in the state of Kentucky...we wouldn't win...so I knew our season would be done at DCI Mid-West Championships in DeKalb.

This is one thing I don't understand. Maybe it is because we don't have many marching bands in Canada, buy why would high school marching bands interfere with Drum Corps. School is in session from September to June. Drum Corps goes from June to August. I think I've heard that many school bands might practice in the summer, but kids in corps are getting a truckload of experience that would help them in band. Why is it considered a conflict? Has the gestapo taken over high school band in the US?

At the same time I also realize that not having marching bands to draw from really hurts Canadian drum corps.

Some band directors are very uncomfortable with their kids missing that first band camp, for any reason. Many believe that drum corps imparts bad habits and/or bad attitudes, and some just think that they should be the top priority in their students' life. I disagree with all of those that think that, but it's a sad reality.

This is not a new thing, band directors that hate drum corps. When I marched band in late 70s, my director almost killed a guy who quit band and joined the Cavies. I loved corps but waited til high school was over to join because of that.

Well, there is always a fear that a top student with a great attitude in high school will go off to drum corps and come back with a new perspective. "Well, at corps we do it this way" or "when I marched, we didn't have this problem" etc. Plus, what was once a great attitude is now more apathetic because, most likely, the high school program the student is in is probably much lower in performance quality than the drum corps experience.

There are some downfalls to having a student march in a drum corps over the summer and then return to band camp in August. It depends on the student though, and most can handle the transition.

Some band directors are very uncomfortable with their kids missing that first band camp, for any reason. Many believe that drum corps imparts bad habits and/or bad attitudes, and some just think that they should be the top priority in their students' life. I disagree with all of those that think that, but it's a sad reality.

I disagree

How many band directors (talking about 90's on forward) came out of this activity and have their own programs now? The current wave of band directors and educators probably cut their teeth on drum corps in the 80s and 90s, and look to the activity to supply them with techs, caption heads and ideas for their own programs today.

Texas band camps start during the drum corps season, but I know of several directors who encourage their kids to participate in corps - and to move on to be student leaders.

California band camps begin after the kids get home - fresh from the road and full of enthusiasm, ideas and new-found leadership skills.