Build a Drum Corps for under $40K

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a really good discussion - I tend to hang out at Soundmachine and a pal pointed me over here - I'm posting from Portland, Maine and am in the initial fundraising for Atlantic Guardian -

OT: Portland, ME is a very nice city. A cruise ship we took out of NY (twice) stopped there.

Mike

OT: Portland, ME is a very nice city. A cruise ship we took out of NY (twice) stopped there.

Mike

Portland is a lovely seaside town that had a very active drum corps scene from 1934 all the way up to the late 70's (I moved here in 1984) - we've been fortunate to get the mailing list from the last drum corps reunion, and even though a lot of the addresses are bad, we are getting a slow response - there is a history section on the A/G website with pictures - and soon, audio - of Portland drum corps "back in the day" - and I mean REALLY back in the day.

Even if the corps never gets off the ground, spending time and getting to know folks who were so dedicated back then has been a real blessing - I'm hoping that as we go along these folks who marched back in the 1930's and 40's will share their experiences with the new kids...

...and if they make a small donation, even better...

regards - Jim

First it is great to see a post where people are not bashing one another, WE NEED MORE OF THAT in this activity.

Being on the Board of Directors for the Eklipse organization, I can vouch for Eklipse Boss and anything that you need to know about our organization, you can contact me or anyone involved with this group and they will help you in anyway possible.

I have only been involved in Drum Corps since '96, but I have seen nearly everyside of it, from marching, to staff, to a director and now on a board (and also being on staff again in the coming years). One thing that has kept Drum Corps going for this many years has been the comradery between organizations. I was involved with Pioneer for those past years and one of the things I really liked about our Executive Director there (Roman Belinski) was that he (and the Corps) helped out any Corps along the way that he could (note: I see this same attitude with our Executive Director at Eklipse). We all need to be that way. I know there are times where we cannot help out another corps (or we think we can't), but we can always stop on the side of the road and ask them what we can do to help, help truck their kids to the nearest truck stop or whatever. I know alot of Corps do this already, thus Drum Corps has survived this long.

Anyway, if any of you need us to help you out, just let us know, we are more then willing to help in anyway we can.

REMEMBER it is all about the kids.

Benjie

• 1 year later...

I'm trying to put together a Corp right now. In fact, I have put together a fundraiser to help us out. Please go to http://mygrouppage2.efundraising.com/Home....touch_id=620177 for information.