Best Sop Player

Keith

that was Redd Swindells with Oswego Black Knights... he still plays professionally from time to time... on both sax and trumpet.

The avante guard guy was probably Dave Keck from Brigadiers

Hunter Moss is great and true southern gentleman

Chez Mr. K and the rest are special for sure

Unquestionably - although you all mention some great people ... the best soloist now performing in drum corps has to be Empire's Joey Pero... he is a true animal... trained at Julliard by Wynton Marsalis and currently completing his training at Berkeley in Boston... He is the most consistent screacher I've ever heard... bar none... rumors abound about his going pro... with someone like Tower of Power.

Dont know their names but the "Big" guy from 87 Spirit of ATlanta and that dude with the glasses from Florida Wave in 86. Any help with the names would be great!

The "Big" guy from Spirit 1987 was John "Soul Train" (don't remember last name) from Hattiesburg, Mississippi. His kindness, laugh and smile were even bigger than his body! The "other" sop soloist from Spirit that year (and 86 & 88) was Mike Elam. What juxtaposition!

I met the Florida Wave guy but don't remember his name.

Dont know their names but the "Big" guy from 87 Spirit of ATlanta and that dude with the glasses from Florida Wave in 86. Any help with the names would be great!

The "Big" guy from Spirit 1987 was John "Soul Train" (don't remember last name) from Hattiesburg, Mississippi. His kindness, laugh and smile were even bigger than his body! The "other" sop soloist from Spirit that year (and 86 & 88) was Mike Elam. What juxtaposition!

I met the Florida Wave guy but don't remember his name.

That "dude with the glasses from Florida Wave" was a guy named Larry Shane.........He's ALSO the soprano soloist you hear at the end of the Blue Devils 1990 show.

Who was the soloist with Colts in the early 80's. He wasn't too shabby either.

Thanks Frank.

So those are two of mine. Greg Blum and Hunter Moss.

Well this does not necessarily qualify for the best field soloist, but in 1993, Chris Martin won Soprano I & E for DCI. He is now Principal Trumpet for the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, was Assist. Principal for the Philadelphia Orchestra and was just recently a top 4 finalist for the principal job with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. That is quite a resume if I may say so. Another addition, his stand partner at ASO, Mark Hughes, was also one of the 4 finalists for the CSO position. Unfortunately, CSO did not hire any of them after this round of auditions.

They've all been named, but I just want to point out the great Jersey trio . . . Kievet, Chez, and Diamond Jim Brady. And the last 2 marched together in the Saints before joining the bigger corps. That's a lot of talent from one area at one time.