SCV 92

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, they did it in '82 and '92 as you mentioned. 1982 is interesting because you can hear the hornline is off-time, apparently the echo in Montreal was pretty bad and they brought it back just for finals.

I was in the stands in 1982, and the problem wasn't the echo...the problem was that the crowd response was so INCREDIBLY LOUD that I'm sure the hornline could not hear itself or the drum line for that matter. That, in combination with it being their first performance of The Bottle Dance in competition that year, resulted in the timing error, I belive. But, for those of us in the stands - we couldn't have cared less! b**bs It was the kind of moment fans live for (think PR's closer at Finals this year). Thank you SCV for this and hundreds of other wonderful memories!

Actually my older brother who marched SCV in 1982 told me that the drum major took off and dropped his hat just prior to giving a downbeat for Bottle Dance, and that half the corps mistook that action for the downbeat, and for the rest of the tune half the corps was pretty much a beat off from the other half. Still sounded pretty cool though LOL. Good thing this happened AFTER the gun went off.

For those of you that don't know..The show started off with a single Gun shot and then after (what was it) 11-1/2 minutes two shots signaling the end of judging but GE was judged for the whole 13 minutes. (or was it 12 min.)?

I believe they did it in 2001 too....unless of course I am misinformed about what the bottle dance looked like.

the color guard only did one little "slide step" (or whatever you wanna call it) of it and the very end of their New Era chant. You can hear the crowd give a little cheer from those that picked up on the little throwback. :huh:

they dont play the bottle dance music though :P

I was told, dont remember by who, that every year after 92 the gaurd somehow put a little bit of choreography of the bottle dance into their show to comemerate <sp?!> the fiddler show.... i take it by the discussion of years they have lil snidbits that its not true??

The Best Bottle Dance by far was done in 92 by VK! NOT!

seriously though, when I saw the 92 SCV show in Concord and they did the Bottle Dance I screamed louder than any BD show I ever have.

After all those years of seeing SCV whoop the pants off BD it was such a rush to see them doing it.

Jerry Seawrite told me on the Track after Retreat at the Concord show in 92 that no way they would win with that show but for once i stood up and said "So what jer that show rocks anyway."

That is the only time I have disagreed with my long time friend ...(he was right though)...but SCV 92 still rocks!

Edited by flammaster

I'll never forget seeing SCV, in Winston Salem NC I believe, in '92. They weren't originally on the program, and were a last minute addition to the show. It just reinforced for me why SCV was and always will be my sentimental favorite corps. Such a great integration of the old and the new, I just really enjoyed the throwbacks like coming off the line, spelling out SCV at the end, and especially the bottle dance.

Looking back on it, if I had know that it would be the last show under the amazing Gail Royer, I don't know if I could have experienced it without crying through the whole thing. :(

Oh by the way, the PBS show from that year shows the bottle dance in all its glory on the "these other corps also performed earlier this evening" section.

For those of us on the WEST COAST SCV 1992 first tour had the guard put on the

"HAT, SKIRT, RED COATS AND WHITE BOOTS the last few Min of the show...

They dropped to their knees and did the bottle dance

ALL THIS WAS TAKEN OUT PRIOR TO LEAVING CALIFORNIA :(

SCV changed their show on almost a daily basis, from what I saw of them that year. It's unfortunate that with all those changes, the show itself never really came together. I mean, I know people enjoyed it and everything, which is great, but competitively, I know it was hard for them that year.

At Finals, my girlfriend and I were seated down in the front on the 30 or something (the best seats a marching member could get), and when they did the Bottle Dance, I told her to watch the crowd instead of the corps. The crowd, of course, went freakin' nuts. It was great.

As for how to see it, well, I do own '92 on tape, but that's not going to help you any, now will it? :P

Just buy '92 from DCI. It's worth it for SCV, Crossmen, and Cadets alone.