Speaking of Star

Hey y'all, I'm wondering if anyone else was in the parking lot that night in Madison when some of us from 27 got together with Star? Anyone who marched 86 Star remember that?

Stephanie,

I was there in the lot looking up some of my friends from '86, but I was not a member at that point (a broken foot kept me out that year). I remember seeing the Lancers there, but wasn't in on the whole event.

• 3 weeks later...

I was there, and I kinda remember some of the folks from 27th hanging out, but the details are fuzzy. One thing I do remember clearly was George Zingali being moved to tears talking about your not making finals. It hurt him very deeply. :(

Michael Chromik

lead mello, Star of Indiana D&B Corps 85'-88'

I asked because I never got to tell you guys thank you for all the wonderful things you did for us that season. That was my age out year and the way some of you guys took our gloves and shoes out to make a "27" for us was so classy and singing in the parking lot with each other, I'll never forget that. Thank you!

I had forgotten about the age-outs arranging the 27 on the field at finals. That was right in front of the my mello rank. :) You guys were kinda special to us. George Zingali and Mark Sylvester would tell us old 27th stories and such. The funny part is that in a strange way we were in awe of you guys and other old school corps like Phantom. We (at least I did) grew up watching tapes of people like 27th, North Star, Muchachos, and the like. It was really fun in those early years just to be on the field with the names that we knew and loved.

I almost ended up marching 27th in 85'. My corps that winter, The Pride of Cincinnati was forced to cancel its 85' tour due to the State of OH shutting our bingos down. A few of our members went up to 27th. Names are fuzzy now for I was only in Pride that winter. But alas I decided to stay closer to home and go up to that new corps in Indiana.

The funny part is that neither one of us has a corps on the field to root for anymore. Mine still exists in a way, but I have to pay $75 or so on Broadway or in London to see them, ie Blast, Cyberjam, Shockwave. The good hearted IN bandos seem long gone. Maybe someday both will be back on the field again. We are beginning to put together an alumni corps this winter. At this point it is only for the Indy 500 parade, but who knows. I will never forget the 27th alumni corps, 94' I think. Excellent. Anyhow thanks for bringing back the memories. It was great to be on the field with you.

Michael Chromik

Lead Mello, Star of Indiana D&B Corps 85'-88'

I remember Pride of Cinn. I marched Memphis Blues and we folded in 83 therefore alot of MB3 people I marched with went up to 27th Lancers. I know a mellophone lady I marched with who marched with Pride, but can't think of her name right now. (Age does that to you) :). You may remember her. Yes, I enjoyed marching with you guys we had the same tour for the most part. I almost went to Star in 86, but decided to age out an alumnus of 27 missing finals by mere tenths. Alot of people don't know about what happened between us guys thats why I wrote the story and Michael Boo put it on DCI. I enjoyed being on the field with you too and thanks for making my age out night one I'll never forget! :) Just to let you know, George B. didn't know we got together in the parking lot that night and sang "Danny Boy", when I read him that part I could hear the lump in his throat!

I think that I know who you are talking about, but age and drink have clouded here name. We played Flugel together that winter in Pride. The last time I talked with her was the Southeast regional in Cary, NC in 85'. Maybe Allentown. There was also a sop player from KY named Scott Thompson or Tomilson, something like that.

We had at least one MB3 member that I can remember in Star. Do you remember Kevin Kennedy from IN? He played Contra in Star, but for some reason he might have played soprano down there. I spent four years in Star with him. He was quite a character, the famous 'Toastman'. I think he went to Bridgemen after Memphis, but I might be confusing him with some of the other Bayonne refugees we had. He is still around and going to play in our alumni hornline next spring.

Michael Chromik

Lead mello, Star of Indiana D&B Corps 85'88'