BD Penalty?

I'm happy to now know how the story came to be! From a minor happening to a 2 point penalty....that's human nature for you, or story telling as it goes.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee and I thought the rivalry was with us in 80, seeing that "Regiment" came I think 5th. They were very good that year, I really think everyone was very good that year. A very good showing!

I didn't march in 80. My reference was in regards to 81 and on.

Gee and I thought the rivalry was with us in 80, seeing that "Regiment" came I think 5th.  They were very good that year, I really think everyone was very good that year. A very good showing!

I didn't march in 80. My reference was in regards to 81 and on.

But you mentioned Phantom. I don't think in this case it matters what year you marched. You knew the story, or do you mean the story began in 81? Unless you mean Phantom being one of your biggest rivals the years you marched....besides of course Cadets....oh sorry, doesn't someone have your ring? Is that you?

I'd have 2 rings if I went when I had it in my mind for that minute, but it was a family tradition, and family loyalty. But really, anyone who has a screen name of bd5times should be very, very proud!

"The sopranos that the 80 Blue Devils received.....and used throughout the 80's had a tuning slide that adjusted *all* notes...." I believe that what you say here may just be what the rumor that I heard at the end of the 80 season..." that's where I guess I thought you meant 80 also.

Anyway, thanks very much...I'm trying to read, work and post, oh, and not get caught...not the easiest thing in the world to do.

BDL, hope you knew what the "d" word was that I was talking about. You can be that way if you want, I was just telling the story as I knew it....I don't think your legend status is in jeapardy! :grrr:

besides of course Cadets....oh sorry, doesn't someone have your ring?  Is that you?

Nope...Rob has his ring from '82. Cadets having The Ring is MY shtick!!

I love it! Your shtick that is!!!

I'm hoping anyone from any year will just give you one. I mean you have many, many alumnus that could/should share 1 with you no problem. b**bs

I realize it must have been more than tough to be 2nd by 1/10, but being 2nd by a little more was just as bad for me. Especially where in the east we seemed to always get no respect so to speak in the early years! Like 80...we weren't even allowed to say "east, east, east". The judges complained, but "west, west, west" was either OK, or the management didn't give a crap what the judges said, which is much better than doing what we did!

Although when I hear your instructors tell it on video, they knew they couldn't beat the Cadets during those years, of course as they say "we never told the kids" it was the type of thing where they said "whoa, we can't beat that" it's fresh, it's new, it's different, time to get back on the bus and start thinking about next year on the ride home..." of course he may have been pointing out 83, and I'm sorry I don't remember BD in 84, which is a shame, but I do remember Gahfield, if you were 1/10 away, you must have been just totally 2/10s away from untouchable, or 1/10 away from a tie I suppose!

Please, please, please, one of you BD alums who have too many rings, please share with 84BDsop!! :grrr: Please :angel:

How many years did you march, and was it all with BD?

I love it!  Your shtick that is!!!

Been using it for years...started on a train ride in '86 or so...84 Cadet remembers....he was the reason it started! (I'll tell the tale later in this post)

I'm hoping anyone from any year will just give you one. I mean you have many, many alumnus that could/should share 1 with you no problem.  b**bs

HA! I couldn't get a single one to let me wear their ring on my glove at one show in 84...'course, I was SUCH a rookie at the time...

I realize it must have been more than tough to be 2nd by 1/10

Not to mention the caption breakdown...Guard: BD (didn;t count in the scores bacj then, tho'), Percussion: BD by 9/10 over Garfield, GE: Gaarfield by 9/10 over BD. Brass: Tie -- BD/SCV/Garfield (so at this point we're still tied). M&M: Tie -- SCV/Garfield...BD 1/10th back...

Although when I hear your instructors tell it on video, they knew they couldn't beat the Cadets during those years, of course as they say "we never told the kids" it was the type of thing where they said "whoa, we can't beat that" it's fresh, it's new, it's different, time to get back on the bus and start thinking about next year on the ride home..." of course he may have been pointing out 83,

Maybe, but that;s something I've never heard before...Rob???

I'm sorry I don't remember BD in 84, which is a shame, but I do remember Gahfield, if you were 1/10 away, you  must have been just totally 2/10s away from untouchable, or 1/10 away from a tie I suppose!

*sigh* If only Garfield's drum line had been a little worse (7th place)...

Please, please, please, one of you BD alums who have too many rings, please share with 84BDsop!!  :grrr:  Please    :angel:

No, no...it's *sniff* quite all right now *sniff sniff* I've moved on (########!)

How many years did you march, and was it all with BD?

I was a rook-out in '84, so you COULD say I marched all my junior years (all one of them) in BD!

Now the story....

In 1986 (I think) I'm on a train to NYC to attend a science fiction convention. I need to hit the the restroom and make my way forward. As I'm waiting to go in and do my thing, a voice perks up from right in front of me...I'm wearing a 1985 Star of Indiana shirt, btw.

The voice says "Did you march Star?"

I answer "No...Blue Devils."

"When?"

"1984."

The guy says he marched Garfield.

Me: "When?"

"1984"

And the entire train hears me yell "YOU'VE GOT MY RING!" We laugh and talk corps for a little...I never DID hit the bathroom.

Years later a guy named Dave Fowler (who posts here as 84Cadet) starts posting on the BD board...I find that he marched cymbals for Garfield in 84. I ask him if he was the guy I met on a train years before...he says he was...and now "YOU'VE GOT MY RING!!" is a running gag on the BD board!

Maybe, but that;s something I've never heard before...Rob???

Wayne said that on the Brass Roots video.

We knew in 83 the staff thought Garfield was something special. After losing Whitewater to Garfield, they drove the corps [ BD ] to Rockford and to watch the Phantom Regiment show. Only time I attended a show between 81-85 where I did not perform. It was a great night and it was great to be able to watch Garfield and the other corps.

The BD staff would tell us when we deserved to lose, but they never told us that we did not have the show to win. I think if a staff member were to tell the corps that....well.....it wouldn't have been pretty.

Rob, thank you for for confirming what I heard on Brass Roots, I didn't want anyone to think that #1) the original thread was the stuff of *trolls* as it wasn't and #2) that I didn't make up the story about the BD Staff.

And I agree, there would have been a problem had anyone ever mentioned that. However, it's not like you were out of the finals, or even out of the top 4....I mean your record stands on it's own!! So yes, it was new and fresh, etc., but it was still very, very close, and Wayne was almost incorrect, depending I guess on what year he was talking about, I believe it was 83, and not 84!

Nanc

depending I guess on what year he was talking about, I believe it was 83, and not 84!

I don't know what year he was talking about...one of those two.

Win or lose, I wouldn't trade those years for anything. It was a fun time.

You can say that again, and again, and again.......