The Spirit of Atlanta / Suncoast Sound Rivarly

A great history lesson for me, as well as a remarkable drum corps story! Looks like you kept good company!

An interesting side-note to the Suncoast-Spriti rivalry...

When I played my audition to come into the Army as a tuba player, the person that auditioned me was a former Sprit contra player, circa 1983. Needless to say, the formal audition was short, but we swapped war storied for hours (and later served together here at Aberdeen Proving Ground).

That "highest ever placement for a corps in their first year in the top twelve" record would have to be shared with, wouldn't you know it.... Spirit of Atlanta from 1978, also 6th.

That's a record I wasn't even aware of.

Edited by Russellrks

• 2 weeks later...

I don't ever recall the rivalry between Spirit and Suncoast as ever being "ugly". We were regional rivals who hated to be beaten by each other, but that was the end of it. We traveled together a lot and we definitely had an appreciation for each other, although we wouldn't admit it at the time. Both corps had many friends in the other corps' ranks, and many of those friendships lasted for years. Some of my closest friends while I marched were actually in Suncoast!

Sure, we hated to lose to them and I'm sure that they hated losing to us. But, both corps were good, especially after we both jumped into the middle of the pack in 83 and shortly thereafter. Running neck and neck with them kept us on our toes.

Heh, so SkaJerk, how do you really feel about Suncoast 85? (j/k)

Worst show I've ever seen. What a lousy hornline!

hehhehheh

Edited by skajerk

Some great corps and a great rivalry. I agree with Steve, it pushed us both to be better.

Some "interesting nicknames" for each other during that time however...

"Spit of a Llama", "Spirit of Mylanta" "Sandblast Sound" "Sunburnt Clowns" etc......

Still love that 1985 Suncoast show....

Later, AA

Somegross Sound. :P

My favorite was always "Sperm Of A Llama" B)

Spewie Inside Santa.... LOL