Can I get a do over?

I say that because it was very, very dirty, the rifle to rifle exchange too dirty, and the flag over rifles just too #### dirty. I realize that the streamers on the double silks makes it look dirtier.

Another thing about BDs guards if you watch them from at 76-80 you'd be hardpressed to see anything truly new, yes we did repeat many things, but in 76 we were only doing 2s and 3s, by 77 4's and exchanges, except for the skirt lenth, with BD, as beautiful to watch as they were, they did alot of the same work...but boy did it look clean!!! Of course I shouldn't talk, from 79 to 80, except for maybe 500 counts, we did the same equipment work!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure BD's rifles tossed only doubles? I'm almost positive I saw higher than that, plenty of triples and a few quads.

Also, another thing I want to point out as I am sure you have seen it yourself, some guards rifle tosses are high but "lobbed" meaning that they are doing a quad height with a double rotation. Many of the guards (especially today) that toss rifles with good technique will "buzz" it meaning the rotation is full and sometimes not so high.

I'll have to go back and look at BD again....I bet if they did do a triple, it was lobbed in the air to make it "seem" like a quad. B)

I say that because it was very, very dirty, the rifle to rifle exchange too dirty, and the flag over rifles just too #### dirty. I realize that the streamers on the double silks makes it look dirtier.

Another thing about BDs guards if you watch them from at 76-80 you'd be hardpressed to see anything truly new, yes we did repeat many things, but in 76 we were only doing 2s and 3s, by 77 4's and exchanges, except for the skirt lenth, with BD, as beautiful to watch as they were, they did alot of the same work...but boy did it look clean!!! Of course I shouldn't talk, from 79 to 80, except for maybe 500 counts, we did the same equipment work!

Yes, streamers do add a nice effect to the equipment but at the same time can make the work look dirty, but to the trained eye they will see through the streamers and only focus on the actual book.

True....I did see a lot of repetitive work in many guards during that era. Some guards had "patterns" for equipment work.....doing the same 5 or 6 basic moves over and over again.....I'm glad we didn't although we couldn't campare to your guard.

At least you guys did experiment with new material as well as the Cavaliers, Madison & Phantom Regiment. You weren't afraid to try something difficult because you knew what it could do as far as stimulating GE.

I do appreciate the approach or direction BD has been taking since Scott C. has been on board with them.

I remember a comment from a friend who marched in SCV's guard during the 70s. She had said that there was some criticism against the west coast corps because they never took chances to the extent that, in particular, the mid-west guards did. Is there any truth to this belief?

I remember a comment from a friend who marched in SCV's guard during the 70s. She had said that there was some criticism against the west coast corps because they never took chances to the extent that, in particular, the mid-west guards did. Is there any truth to this belief?

That was a very common complaint. And it wasn't just the Midwestern guards; it was also the Eastern guards, as has been noted in this thread. Two-Seven and Phantom just had a whole lot more physical demand than Blue Devils and Santa Clara. That was absolutely true. And it was also true that guards like Two-Seven and Phantom came up with tons of new tricks, which other guards copied. And Two-Seven, in particular, invented a lot of the moves (styles of tosses, spins, etc.) that most guards began to use in the '80s, thus bringing to an end the "regionalization" of color guard.

No quads, I've watched it over and over for the pure beauty of the show!

OK, I stand corrected. But I was pretty sure they didn't throw only doubles; I could've sworn I saw at least triples in there, too.

And yes, you are correct, the mental demand was there in your show, too. As I said before, I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't. It was just that the emphasis in Two-Seven's shows seemed to be on a very high physical demand. Blue Devils and Santa Clara always went more for that ethereal, elegant style . . . which presents its own problems, in terms of trying to make it work cleanly. Again, for that style, my money nearly always went with Blue Devils, because their execution levels were so high (and also because they kept weapons in their show, which Santa Clara didn't for quite some time).

Edited by byline

No quads, I've watched it over and over for the pure beauty of the show!

OK, I stand corrected. But I was pretty sure they didn't throw only doubles; I could've sworn I saw at least triples in there, too.

And yes, you are correct, the mental demand was there in your show, too. As I said before, I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't. It was just that the emphasis in Two-Seven's shows seemed to be on a very high physical demand. Blue Devils and Santa Clara always went more for that ethereal, elegant style . . . which presents its own problems, in terms of trying to make it work cleanly. Again, for that style, my money nearly always went with Blue Devils, because their execution levels were so high (and also because they kept weapons in their show, which Santa Clara didn't for quite some time).

No, wait, I said BD did indeed do triples in 80. That was the only point that they were strained, you can actually tell prior to their throwing which will be a triple from the rifle moving off of horizontal just prior. In the OTL they turn around and do a triple facing backwards and they also add 4 rifles from the flag line in the OTL at which time the camera show a side view of maybe 1 rifle, she's doing maybe 2 or 3 triples at the end of the OTL....the flag may even go over their head in that feature. The quard is back field. Jay Murphy who taught them and one of the best winter guards in the world (for me any way) did things like that like it was a 2 count spin.

You just can't get away from it, they all wear the same uniforms which were beautiful, (I liked them any way) they are so pretty and clean and executed it's not funny (flags not as much as rifles) and that's all I can say.

Oh, and their rifles were maybe 1/2 the size of ours, if you notice they're the small ones with a very long muzzle and streamers. They still look small, but had we tried to use those rifles, I think we could have done much more than we did! Although after using regular rifles, it would have been next to impossible for me to use one!

No, wait, I said BD did indeed do triples in 80.

Yes, I know. I was actually referring to Malibu's comment--"I think their rifles only tossed doubles"--which prompted my original question. Sorry 'bout the confusion!

Jay Murphy who taught them and one of the best winter guards in the world (for me any way) did things like that like it was a 2 count spin.

He's done so many great ones, but one of the first winter guards I remember him doing was St. Joseph's Grenadiers back in '82, I believe it was. Is that who you're talking about?