So, something other than G and Bb?

Blaringbrass

I really think though Bb was a good idea..... as an option. Who woulda thought most would switch to them, isn't anyone out there afraid of change? Geese.... how long do you think it'll take for them to realize G was and still is the King of the field?

LOL... I'm just having  a wee bit of fun.......I like Bb. really I even own a trumpet.

• 2 weeks later...
Who woulda thought most would switch to them, isn't anyone out there afraid of change?

It was made pretty clear (by the judges) that you needed to change to Bb to be competitive in DCI.

Just means more G horns for us to buy!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we really could have comprised and played A horns, then Hoppy could bring in his A clarinets, and we would all have tons of fun!!! NOT!

To be honest, when I heard of the mutli-key rule, I thought we were going to play different keyed horns like Eb, or C. Those were the two first keys that popped into my head when I first thought about the mulit-key rule. Maybe even D. I remember also thinking that the contrabasses would be in C to attract the serious tuba players, the baritones, and euphoniums in Bb for the trombone and euphonium players, F mellophones to attract the horn talent, and Bb or even C to attract the trumpet talent, with the option of D's, Eb's, and piccs. I guess I was just being too analytical. Then it hit me that we would just play Bb/F like the rest of the world does.  ;)^

I remember also thinking that the contrabasses would be in C to attract the serious tuba players....

So, you're saying that only the serious tuba players play CC tubas?  There have been several professional tuba players that have won auditions for major symphonies playing on BBb tubas.  CC vs. BBb is really a personal choice among tuba players.  I bet most non-tuba players can't even tel the difference between a good BBb and a CC.  Many tuba players choose the CC and F for orchestra because the finger patterns are easier in the sharp keys that orchestra lit tends to be in.  However, even the top tuba players in the world will usually tend towards BBb and Eb tubas when they play in brass bands, which is essentially what our hornlines are.

I've never met a CC tuba player that didn't first learn to play BBb, so getting CC contrabasses really wouldn't serve much of a good cause all CC players can play BBb.  Besides, one of the key reasons for switching to Bb horns is that the resale value so that we can keep quality horns in the hands of our players.  Who would want to buy CC marching tubas?