Band directors' comments re Bb vs G?

CozyChopsCom

The "controversy" of Bb vs G w/in corpsdom has been/may be debated elsewhere, please. I'm curious to know what band directors have said since the rules change.

Have they said it's important and beneficial that corps have similar instruments/keys? Are they more receptive to corps? Encourage their members moreso than in the ol' G days? Too busy preparing "Appalachian Spring" for spring to think of corps? Thanks!

Cozy

My dad is the band director at my high school, and he's totally into the whole switching thing.. and so am i.. i feel that it'll bring more people to drum corp.. before i knew much about drum corp, i was afraid to try-out because of the keying of the instruments.. but that's all changed now.. i also like the sound and so do many other band directors in this area.. i feel it's a great thing..

I really don't think it should make a Big diffrence what key insterment you play. Its not that hard to switch from your band Bb or F instrement to a G.

I agree here.

I had no problem going from a Marching Band Mello to a bugle.  

But maybe that's just me

My dad is the band director at my high school, and he's totally into the whole switching thing.. and so am i.. i feel that it'll bring more people to drum corp.. before i knew much about drum corp, i was afraid to try-out because of the keying of the instruments.. but that's all changed now.. i also like the sound and so do many other band directors in this area.. i feel it's a great thing..

So...you were afraid to try out because of the key difference.

Why?   What is so horrible about learning to play in a different key?  Isn't that a part of music education?  Isn't that why those going for music ed degrees have to learn to play not only their major instrument but all others?  Isn't playing a G instrument AND a Bb (or whatever key) instrument an educational experience???  Or isn't education what drum corps is about?

Besides...how do you think us trombone players felt about having to learn to play with valves???

• 2 weeks later...
I really don't think it should make a Big diffrence what key insterment you play. Its not that hard to switch from your band Bb or F instrement to a G.

I agree.  I had no problems switching from G Mello to  F Horn or Bb Trumpet.

When I first heard the Cadets with thier new Bb horns in 2000 I was sold.  But don't get me wrong, I will always enjoy the more "meaty" sound of the G bugles.

No matter what key it's in it's still drum & BUGLE corps to me!

• Like 1

Not sure why the key change to any-key, well, Bb, would be that big a deal to band directors. I agree that playing different keys is great for one's music education. Am I to understand that we're all to play something like a Bach on a Bach 7C? That's going to extremes, but the point is that I expected to hear more regarding schedule conflicts between corps and band than the key issue.

Cozy

Cozy Chops

The first time I played a bugle, and read music with it, it was a real pain in my ###!

At first, I could not stand how if I played a Bb on top of the bass clef staff, it sounded a G. That was the weirdest thing ever, playing concert instruments my whole life. That took me awhile to get used to, especially when we would play notes that used valves because I would think, "Oh ok, 3rd space Eb, first valve." Of course it didnt work. That was real annoying. I just had to realize it wasnt a concert © instrument, and know that the note written would never be the note that sounded.

The sound of a G hornline is no doubt thicker than a Bb line, but the Bb/F horns are way easier to tune, IMO, but it still just doesnt have that thickness. It is a different sound, but I think in years that will be compensated for. In ways, we are already doing that by playing on Bb/F instruments that are the same bore size as the G counterparts we used to use.