Guest GeorgeD

235 members have voted

1. 1. Star of Indiana Hornlines

• The Brass Theater Years
    • The Blast! Years
    • Star never really had a great horn line
    • The best is yet to come!

Guest GeorgeD

Star brought some awesome horn sounds to the field..and now they are doing the same on the stage. A lot of folks think the 1991 Championship edition, with the running mello line and all the different voicings was the greatest Star line ever... A lot of folks "in the know" feel that the 1992 edition was one of the most "mature" sounding junior corps lines ever.  So which Star version made you shout "best ever"!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, for all intents and purposes, "Blast" is probably the best of all of them, but from the drum corps years, 93 is, IMO, the best.  I loved the show as a whole, and I was blown away by the hornline (even though I've only heard recordings of it  :) ).

I remember back in 1991, one of our horn instructors made our hornline go and sit down and listen to Star of Indiana's hornline. He said "THAT is what a hornline SHOULD sound like". Now in our defense, the Freelancers didnt have all that shabby of a hornline ourselves (7th). But all things being equal, we couldnt hold a candle to Star. They were absolutely mind boggling.

91mellos.gif

That being said, I also really dug the "Americana" show in 1992...

1992.jpg

Cheers!!

smlogo.gif

Although, I personally think that 90 Star had a more balls to the wall show, 91 is bar far better executed. Those mids are gods. It doesnt even sound like they are marching. Impecable technique, control and balance. We are not worthy!! I think it gets my vote for one of the best sounding hornline of all time.

I marched from 1989 to 1993 and had the pleasure of seeing many incredible corps (other than the ones I marched for) during those summers.  While I will agree that 1991 was an incredible year for Star and indisputably one of the defining shows of DCI through the years I have to say that the 1990 edition of Star of Indiana was a pivotal show not only for their own growth but for DCI altogether.  Belshazzar's Feast (sp) was certainly a memorable show from the many that occured in 1990.  It was a close call between 1991 and 1990 but Iid have to tip my hat to 1990.

S. Hildebrand

Sky Ryders 1989,1990,1991

Phantom Regiment 1992,1993

'89 - The first year it was hip to be a euphonium player (BALLZ)

'90 - best listening - can't hear it too many times

'91 - Great alto line but the book didn't really toss me like '90 did

'92 - *gag*

'93 - Model horn line - set a standard that still has yet to be met.