Freelancers

I am interested in hearing memories of corps that are no longer with us. This week, I am going to be a bit self indulgent and ask you all to share your memories of my alma matter, the Freelancers. WHat were your favorite shows? Did you ever march with SAC or even just hang out with us and have some cool stories to tell? If so please share. This is after all the Historical Discussion Forum and I for one would like to re-visit history.

To start the ball rolling, my favorite shows were 1982 and 1984. I can not decide which one I like better. They just seemed so relevant. The corps those years had a very hardcore feel about them and they just exuded confidence on the field. Gengi, Sunshine, Power Suite and Bells are my all time favorite Freelancers tunes and I would give an awful lot to be able to line up with my Freelancer brothers and sister and play these tunes again for all the world to hear... Just one more time I would love to hear my three favorite words in the English language.........

SAC

IS

BACK!!!

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heh, this is not the first time you've started Freelancers thread Cainan, and everytime you start one, I post on it... I LOVE the Freelacners and wish I could have marched hte summer program, not just the winterguard........

Anyway, my FAVORITE Freelancer shows are 89-93.....E.T., Batman, Bells, William Walton, and Bill Chase......

LOVE the Black and Red..........if only I could have marched........... :(

Stu...

As far as I am concerned you could put Freelancers on your sig line. I know how you feel about the corps and you my friend (no matter our differences) I consider to be one of my Freelancer brothers.

I'd have to agree with you, Cainan. I loved both the 82 and 84 shows. Heck, I liked the 83 show as well! I was really hoping we'd put up a better fight against them in 83. We did for a little while but we just could never get over that hump. Still some great memories, though.

I also really miss that intense sound of metal on metal whenever you guys went to parade rest.

I also really miss that intense sound of metal on metal whenever you guys went to parade rest.

We used to get in trouble for that when we got our new horns in 91 but we did it anyway!!

I loved the 83-85 offerings from SAC. We played Breakin' Up/Lover Come Back in my HS band, it was much fun. The next year we tackled Born Again, which also did not suck.

I REALLY liked the 85 show. The music was quite cool, and I really liked the uni's. (That _was_ the year of the funky unis that seemed to change when you turned around and such...no?)

A good corps that is missed. :(

"We got something you're really gonna like!"

"Here it is!"

"Live! From Sacramento... the Freelancers!"

Good stuff!

:blink::blink::blink: B)

Edited by OrlandoContraAlum

If you don't mind hearing from an old timer, I've got some great memories...

Having one of the best DM's (ever!) in Paul Zimny.

On tour in Colorado, and having to stop on the freeway for a cattle drive.

Having my sleeping bag stolen (Altoona, PA, I think) and having one of the staff give up their bag for me to use the rest of tour (Thanks Tony)

Leaving one of the busses behind in Philadelphia...and waiting two years for it to come home.

Losing a good friend to a motorcycle accident following the '76 season. Miss you Danny. :(

Hearing the story about Danny's...uh...spirit going on tour. And yes, I believe it.

Those #### jump suits in '79.

Having one of the staff fired during tour (Allentown, I think).

Having a couple of ###holes yell out "Go Seattle" just as our prelims performance started (Again, #### jump suits!)

Loved the '82 - '84 shows. Wish I'd marched my age out years.

Having the chance to be a part of the movie (Chattanooga Choo Choo) and the sound track. What an incredible experience!

Living only a few miles from Sac State (Freelancer rehearsal site) and going over a few times a week and watching the evening rehearsal. I really miss that!

Hearing they were going inactive for the '86 season and seeing the looks on the members faces when they heard the news.

Seeing Freelancers at '89 Finals (LIVE!) and holding back the tears (of joy) while they chanted "Sac is back!" Just AWESOME!!!

Seeing Freelancers make Finals in '92 (barely).

Hearing they were going inactive for the '95 season and thinking this could be it for the organization.

Getting a chance to march with quite a few fellow Freelancers in River City Regiment (three decades of Freelancer members at one time).

Edited by Big Mac

The first time I ever saw the Freelancers live was the prelims show in Kansas City in 88. They came out with this huge sound (70 horns?) and blew the crowd away with the ET opener. I never liked when the corps used ET in 89 that they shortened the song. I always thought it was better in 88.

Freelancers definitely should have made finals in 90. Saw the corps at Giants Stadium and then up in Buffalo finals week. The crowd definitely dug their show and Batman rocked.

I have a much deeper appreciation of the 91 show now than when I marched 'Coats back in 91. 'Coats & Freelancers almost had a huge brawl after DCI Canada finals (do you remember that Cainan?). We only beat Freelancers by a tenth that night after beating them by 2.3 in the morning prelims. We were ###### as all #### and unfortunately we were next to each other on the field for retreat. Needless to say there were some battles happening on the yardline that seperated us (gotta love the occasional elbow being thrown). Luckily cooler heads calmed alot of the corps down and made sure we didn't do anything stupid that night.

We competed against Freelancers only a few times in 92: Preview of Champions, DCI East & Finals week. I don't think I watched their show that year due to scheduling of our corps. First time I ever saw the show was on the finals videos. Unfortunately I never saw the corps live again. Maybe someday we'll see this great corps rise from the dead to entertain us all again.

The first time I ever saw the Freelancers live was the prelims show in Kansas City in 88. They came out with this huge sound (70 horns?) and blew the crowd away with the ET opener. I never liked when the corps used ET in 89 that they shortened the song. I always thought it was better in 88.

I think that the 88 show was probably a better overall show, but it wasnt quite performed to the level that it should have been. I think that the corps in 89 came out of the starting blocks with a "dont #### with us" attitude and absolutely nothing would stop us from the big show in KC. If you really wanted to appreciate that show you should have seen us at semi finals. That show was purely magic. I remember coming of fthe field and circling up around Paul Zimny and I swear to God the whole corps was trembling with the excitement that we just kicked tail.

Freelancers definitely should have made finals in 90. Saw the corps at Giants Stadium and then up in Buffalo finals week. The crowd definitely dug their show and Batman rocked.

Cant disagree with you there. Thats why I cut up my semi finalist patch and sewed it onto the sleve of my corps jacket in little pieces.

I have a much deeper appreciation of the 91 show now than when I marched 'Coats back in 91. 'Coats & Freelancers almost had a huge brawl after DCI Canada finals (do you remember that Cainan?). We only beat Freelancers by a tenth that night after beating them by 2.3 in the morning prelims. We were ###### as all #### and unfortunately we were next to each other on the field for retreat. Needless to say there were some battles happening on the yardline that seperated us (gotta love the occasional elbow being thrown). Luckily cooler heads calmed alot of the corps down and made sure we didn't do anything stupid that night.

Yeah, that was a cool rivalry. We didnt take kindly to having our ranks broken into. Did you ever see someone try to break the Freelancers ranks? They usually bounced right back out. We liked to use all the field we were allotted at retreat. All in good fun though. If I am honest I didnt like you guys that year all that much *at that time*, but now I think you guys had a great show. You had some seriously wailing sops that year!

We competed against Freelancers only a few times in 92: Preview of Champions, DCI East & Finals week. I don't think I watched their show that year due to scheduling of our corps. First time I ever saw the show was on the finals videos. Unfortunately I never saw the corps live again. Maybe someday we'll see this great corps rise from the dead to entertain us all again.

UNfortunately I dont think that will ever happen again....