Used brass instruments

drumstix909

I'm looking into buying my own marching baritone, so I can have a horn to play on during the off-season (taking three months off KILLS me, as you would imagine). I've got a couple questions here, actually:

1) Which brand should I go for? I have usually played on a Dynasty horn, but I do not like the way it plays AT ALL. Which brand do you recommend for a good instrument at a reasonable price?

2) Where is the best place to look for used instruments in good shape? I cannot really afford a new one, unless someone knows where to get a new silver baritone for cheap. I'm trying the eBay thing, but they don't seem to have silver marching horns on there too often, and when they do, they are hard to win. What do you all recommend?

Thanks for your help!

I know many people that get their horns from ebay, you might want to look there.

Kimela

I know you said you want a used horn, but you can get a new one for cheap at music123.com. Fairly decent discounts. Of course, if your looking for a bugle, then you can forget that website.

The Dynasty M570 is sold for anywhere from 57%- 61% off the retail.

The Jupiter 560L is about 37% off retail, and more expesnive than the DEG.

The Kanstul 290 is 43% off retail, but is still more expensive than the prevous two horns.

The Bach B1106 is 36% off retail, but is still more expensive than the DEG and the Jupiter.

The Yamaha YBH301M is 30% off retail, but is still rather expensive.

There is financing available, and all these horns are fairly good deals. The Dynasty is the cheapest cost wise, and ofers the most discount. But, as I said, if you want a bugle, forget this website...hope I helped!

• 2 weeks later...

There are also many corps who are selling their bugles. I know the BK recently announced in the Marketplace that the entire line of G Bugles is for sale. Impulse, Capital Regiment, and Troopers also have some for sale or will in the near future. I would hazard a guess the Madison will sell their bugles, but I just don't know!

Thanks everyone! I recently won an eBay auction on a very nice looking silver Kanstul baritone :) I got it for $750, and the new ones are $1200, so as long as it plays as well as it looks in the picture, then I'm happy!

• 4 months later...

"Used Brass":

Look to www.Ebay.com Quite a lot of stuff pops up, and actually APPEARS to be in good shape. 'Buyer Beware'.

Many corps, such as the Casper Troopers are presently doing, sell their used horns through their websites.

You can post a "Bugle Wanted" notice on RAMD and hope for the best.

Elphaba