What's Your Favorite Horn Lick?

FarmerFred

I'm interested in hearing what everyone's favorite horn lick, rip, riff, show-off...whatever you want to call it.  Post it here and see if there's some the others never noticed.

Personally my favorite tie is between the 1989 Blue Devils soprano feature and the 1993 Freelancers Bill Chase Opener.

Spose this is a good enuf time to stick my nose in... :P

5. Garfield '87 Gift full line runs ("simple" but effective)

4. Cadets '93 full line runs at the end (not particularly clean, but again, effective)

3. SCV '98 groove piece - dunno name - rawkin from front to back

2. (gritting teeth) most Concord soprano features

1. (and no contest here) Suncoast Sound '85 rip in Midnight in Miami

Well, there's nothing really fabulous about either of these but they always give me goose bumps.  Garfield 84, about 45 seconds into the show in Maria mellos slur up and sustain a note for about 5 seconds or so.  I dunno why I think its so great, but it still gives me goose bumps.  Second is Phantom 96, about 2 minutes and 45 secs into recording, the sop runs.  Clean and pretty; one of my favorite sop moments in any show.

I am a bit biased because I played it but here goes. In the end of 91 Freelancers show, there is a "doo-wee-ahhhh" lick played over a loud chord. I played that show for one of my college professors and several of my drum corps buddies over here in England. They all said the same thing...

"####!! Listen to that screaming French Horn lick!!"

Only one little problem...WE DIDNT HAVE FRENCH HORNS!! That lick was played by 6 lead baritones. We added it in the week before finals. Our brass caption head asked each of the baris to play the lick. Once he decided to put it in, he gave us absolutely no restrictions on it other than to play the lick "really f***ing loud!!". So we did.

I am a bit biased because I played it but here goes. In the end of 91 Freelancers show, there is a "doo-wee-ahhhh" lick played over a loud chord. I played that show for one of my college professors and several of my drum corps buddies over here in England. They all said the same thing...

Only one little problem...WE DIDNT HAVE FRENCH HORNS!! That lick was played by 6 lead baritones. We added it in the week before finals. Our brass caption head asked each of the baris to play the lick. Once he decided to put it in, he gave us absolutely no restrictions on it other than to play the lick "really f***ing loud!!". So we did.

That was mine, not JAZ's thankyouverymuch  ;)

One of two "made you look for french horns" rips I put into that show. And yes that Bells lick is my favorite that I personally have played  :D

Spose this is a good enuf time to stick my nose in... :P

5. Garfield '87 Gift full line runs ("simple" but effective)

4. Cadets '93 full line runs at the end (not particularly clean, but again, effective)

3. SCV '98 groove piece - dunno name - rawkin from front to back

2. (gritting teeth) most Concord soprano features

1. (and no contest here) Suncoast Sound '85 rip in Midnight in Miami

Hey John,whats up.

Anyway,nones heard it yet ,but the  runs in  the Bushwackers show,in Inferno(I think they're in the original,too) will  and do rock.

Also,1982 Sky Ryders mello licks in "Macarena".I think Cabs played that the same year too,but not as LOUD.

Jeromeyuselessinfowacker

I'm interested in hearing what everyone's favorite horn lick, rip, riff, show-off...whatever you want to call it.  Post it here and see if there's some the others never noticed.

My single favorite is from the end of Regiment's 1989 show when the sopranos restate the theme from the beginning of the finale.  They're standing in a diagonal line with the low brass marching directly toward them.  Then the full hornline blows the stadium apart.  I love that.

Michael Oldemeyer

That was mine, not JAZ's thankyouverymuch  ;)

One of two "made you look for french horns" rips I put into that show. And yes that Bells lick is my favorite that I personally have played  :D

My apologies John. I am a bit slow on the uptake these days (you know, getting old and all that stuff). I must give credit where credit is due. Begging your forgiveness Sir....