What's Your Favorite Horn Lick?

FarmerFred

I'm a little bit biased because I marched two of these years, but here goes...

97 Cadets- not only the opening statement, but the whole show!  that stuff was amazing!

00 Cadets- the brass lick at the end of the show, where we finger each others horns.  everybody (except tubas) did it.  just a side note, and a funny one at that-when we first learned it (the run) the brass staff wanted us to try it by moving the WHOLE HORN over to the next person...as you can obviously tell, that didn't work out!

01 Cadets- opening run...20 beats faster than the 97 opening run.  also, the run in Farandole was a lot of fun, especially when they made it longer.

Cadets mellos any year.

BD-mellos any they did Channel One (i had the privelage of playing mello in my high school marching band when we ripped it of from them.)

Star-whole hornline any year

PR-such a sonorous sound!  love all of their shows!

SCV-these past few years, they have had amazing shows...i've always liked what they've done (favorite show of all time, of any drum corps, SCV '89)

Cavies-always good at bringing lesser known pieces to the field...some wicked runs in the 01 show.

Southwind-91, 92-very hard shows done very well...they deserved the div. II title those years

Madison-have been a power house up until recently...love the 95 and 97 shows

well, i know i got a little off subject, but oh well.

Michael Terry

Cadets Euphonium 2000-2007

cool topic here..

whoever that was who referenced suncoast 1985: THANK YOU! i thought i was the only person on the planet who is in awe of that brass line.

also-

devils 93 high brass thing...awesome.

cadets every year since 1992. amazing.

star 1991 mellophones. almost perfect.

peace..

cool topic here..

whoever that was who referenced suncoast 1985: THANK YOU! i thought i was the only person on the planet who is in awe of that brass line.

also-

devils 93 high brass thing...awesome.

cadets every year since 1992. amazing.

star 1991 mellophones. almost perfect.

peace..

Matadors 77...Richie Price and Jimmy Centorino...holy quadruple tonguing at the end of Rocky, and way up the octave.

I always loved the BD sop lick in 94 in the middle of "Night Streets", builds right into the shout chorus. (the staff shouting their approval in the one count of silence is cool too). Also, at the end of the 95 BD show, the hornline and drumline are playing attacks in Day Danse, while the mellos(i think they had fluglehorns too) threw down a really phat lick. On a personal note, just standing still and playing your typical 16th/triplet note run just doesnt entertain me anymore. Like star 91, there is all kinds of crazy #### goin on. The first time we (this was at a camp durring dinner break) watched their second movement, we all got down on my knees Waynes World style and chanted "we're not worthy!"

1)  Main melody licks in "Channel One Suite"

2)  End lick of 1981 Crossmen from "Rocky II"

3)  Opening of "New York, New York" from Bridgemen '78

4)  Phantom '89 - "New World" sop soli

5)  Freelancers 1981 - the "Malaga" upper brass thing right before the ending.  Stan Kenton would have been proud -- and deafened!   :)

6)  Madison '88 -- the fugue section in the opener

7)  Suncoast '85 -- dudda dudda dah, Dudda Dudda Dah, DUDDA DUDDA DAH!!!  

8)  Opening of Sky Ryders "Faces" in both 1981 and 1982.

all for now,

Mmmkay, some of my faves:

1994 BD, soprano tutti soli in "Night Streets"

1995 BD, full hornline (?) runs during "Caribe"

1999 Bush, the "trading fours" section of Putting It Together (disclaimer-I was in the baritone line)

1984 Garfield, a whole bunch of stuff during "America"

Jon

Bush 92-infinity

Great Topic!

Two of my favorite licks come from '94 Cavaliers - both were in Sensemaya (sp?).  Obviously, most of y'all have heard the show, and know what I'm talking about.  At least I hope so, 'cause I can't describe them at all!

Cadets '98 - The little 2 or 3 bar baritone feature in the second movement - that was such a great section moment, only very rarely do I hear sound like that come from a whole bari line.

Phantom - Danza Finale - 'nuff said. Those guys were demons!

I've always been partial to the two bars of mellophone that Gail Royer wrote into the middle of Don Angelica's "JC Superstar" concert played by the 71 Diplomats, perhaps because I saw the thing come down: Angelica says, "Gail, I need something here...."  Royer complies. Angelica reads it and says "Why, Gail, that's SO Jewish!" Meant, of course, as a compliment.  It's hard to hear in the recordings, but it's a classic...and the whole corps dug it as much as the mellophones did.  All props to Gail, Angelica and "Kevin, Kevin and Robbie,"  the mellophone section.  ..and then there's Wayne Bergeron's never-miss double high Cs on that seriously junkshop horn he was issued.  

Ah yes, drum corps on a shoestring, Southern California style.  I can't imagine today one corps going over to a competitor and asking to borrow a couple of "better" horns at a performance. The Diplomats used to outright go up and beg the LA Chinese for horns: and by The Diplomats, I mean me!

Thanks, Imperial Dragons, in case you didn't get properly thanked back there in 1971.  

RON HOUSLEY