What's Your Favorite Horn Lick?

FarmerFred

Well, in a REALLY biased opinion, Spirit's " Let it Be Me " lick at the end of last year's show gives me goosebumps.  Star of Indiana's Bari line in their American show ( can't remember the year ) when they all play the intro to the National Anthem in unison, totally rocks. And Madison's whole Sop line through out the '99 show sizzles !!!

Jen Swanson

Many many favorites...

The mello lick at the end of 88 cavvies

the sop-mello lick trades in 99 SCV's opener

the whole mello book from 91 Star

the "Elephant Walk" baritone lick from 92 Bush

Tritone "Whoop" lick from the 2002 Bush opener...

..oh wait, you haven't heard that yet.

1990 Blue Devils book!  TOmmy

The first thing that comes to mind is from '86 Blue Devils.   Towards the end of Channel One Suite (after the awesome soprano solo)  the middle horns have this wicked, fast lick that still leaves me breathless.

Another great lick is from '85 Suncoast Sound in the closer where the ENTIRE HORNLINE does this wild, unison lick!  WOW!!

OMG, I was just listening to '94 SCV, the Red Poppy-Hunt for Red October, and they had this awesome Sop lick.  I dunno if it was during the Allegro and Romances, or the Russian Sailor's Dance, but I completely forgot about it and it is, HERE; HAVE MY BABY!!

1. (and no contest here) Suncoast Sound '85 rip in Midnight in Miami

I'm glad you mentioned this one.  There were actually two lines in Midnight that I remember.  One is the full hornline run that you're talking about, the other is a quick soprano lick earlier in the tune.  That hornline was incredible, to say the least.

Phantom's run in Concerto for Orchestra last year. Very cool!

Cadets' "Million Dollar Run" in Farandole. Also their opening lick from 1997, but it would have been cooler if more than a third of the hornline was playing it.

Pioneer's mello runs at the end of Minstrel Boy and ATB (closer) were pretty good too.