Best slow solo ever?

radiosteele

Who was the mello soloist for Florida Wave in the mid-80s "This Masquerade", "Fool on the Hill". Great technique and tone... B)

• 14 years later...

"1983 Garfield Mello in Simple Song"  Was that Barbara Marony?  The last note of her solo in 1984 West Side Story (Somewhere) just fades away so nicely...  I second the baritone solo from the 1987 Phantom Regiment show (Swan Lake and Nutcracker).  I think the show was called Songs from the Winter Palace, and the solo was from near the end of the first act of Nutcracker.

On 2/11/2003 at 9:20 PM, StarContra4-85 said:

Who was the mello soloist for Florida Wave in the mid-80s "This Masquerade", "Fool on the Hill". Great technique and tone... B)

You mean Florida Vanguard? If you do I have the answer.

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2003 at 10:10 AM, meadejd said:

Ryan "Sporto" Turner, VK DM 86, 87 and Impulse Drillwriter played the other part

I really loved that tune. My favorite of the years I was with VK on staff. Good to see you on here, Dave!

I would nominate Dave Charlton and the bari solo in La Suerte, 1980. Cool runnings!

On 6/21/2002 at 7:34 PM, Jeff said:

How about Bonnie Ott playing Chase the Clouds Away for the Blue Devils? One of my favorites.

Ok, OK, so I'm old....

If you're old, I'm a fossil. "Ever" is a long time, even in drum corps. Bonnie Ott and Barbara Maroney have a lock on the "modern" era for me, but if you've never heard Tommy Martin on "I loves You Porgy" with the '62 Air Force Corps or on "Street Scene" with the Skyliners thereafter, you'd be rewarded for doing the research.