Best slow solo ever?

radiosteele

On 8/19/2017 at 2:30 AM, ironlips said:

If you're old, I'm a fossil. "Ever" is a long time, even in drum corps. Bonnie Ott and Barbara Maroney have a lock on the "modern" era for me, but if you've never heard Tommy Martin on "I loves You Porgy" with the '62 Air Force Corps or on "Street Scene" with the Skyliners thereafter, you'd be rewarded for doing the research.

"Dinosaur & Fossils"

Can't leave out baritone legends Billy Hightower  (Who marched with Ironlips in St Catherine's and the LI Sunrisers), and his fab solo's in "Tin Roof Blues, Black Bottom and Sing  Sing Sing",  as well as AirForceMan John Simpson, and his "Summertime" solo (Along with Tommy Martin) and the legendary Simpson  "Rhapsody in Blue" indie solo which is on the  flip side of the Fleetwood  Skyliner "Portrait on Brass" record.

Soprano legend Tommy Martin also solo's on thst old Fleetwood disc with "You made me love you", and his tripple tounging feature.

What is even more legendary is the fact that  these guys achieved what they did playing on the 1960's Getzen GD Valve/slide BUGLES, and they required NO AMPLIFICATION!!!!!!!!

All of this great legendary talent can be found on the Fleetwood remakes CD's, "Brass by Night"  the Skyliner 1962 concert  recoriding and the Air Force Disc.

Enjoy       :guinesssmilie:

Elphaba   :flower:

Edited by elphaba01

On 8/23/2002 at 0:39 AM, marty_lucy said:

He's got my vote too. We had a show together in Stillwater, MN that year. We had gone on a couple of corps before Phantom so I got to hear the show from the front stands, toward the side 1 end zone. He was staged pretty far towards the opposite side of the field, but I remember thinking, dang, that guy fills up the whole stadium. Lush tone, long phrases.

J.D. Shaw, who is currently the arranger/composer for SCV.  Before that, he was arranger for Phantom Regiment.  He is also the french horn teacher at the University of South Carolina.

On 9/26/2002 at 8:30 AM, BossHogg said:

The guy who played the Nessun Dorma solo in '91 was a Mellophone player (who if I'm not mistaken is now the Brass Arranger for Phantom)....it was not a Soprano solo. Definitely one of the best Mellophone solos ever....very FAT sound. I always felt bad for him though, cause you can see his plume come off during the Finals video.

I think you may be confusing what came later in the show during Pagliacci. Also didn't that same Soprano player (Ray Vasquez ?) win Soprano Individuals that year ?

It was J.D. Shaw.  Ray played the sop. solo on "Pagliacci".

• 2 months later...

I cannot recall whether or not this has already been mentioned, but the french horn player from the Madison Scouts has a very nice solo at the beginning of "Looking Through the Eyes of Love" the love song from the movie Ice Castles, the closer in 1981.  I wish I had a DVD with that show; it was the first time I had seen a championship-level corps live, and it was awesome.

Edited by Chris Halkides

• 2 weeks later...

East Coast Jazz 1998.  Adam Rapa playing soprano on Kenton's Artemis & Apollo.  

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Drum corps change to college half time shows it lost a lot from the days of the 60s and 70s. Too much dancing around and not enough of perfection of M&M that Blessed Sac had Garfield had Hawthorn had. It’s now a side show for college bands. Who ruined it all. There’s no difference anymore. Bring back DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS AND LET THR BAND STUFF STAY WITH THE THEATRICAL COLLEGE BANDS.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/17/2021 at 8:08 PM, Drum Corps said:

Drum corps change to college half time shows it lost a lot from the days of the 60s and 70s. Too much dancing around and not enough of perfection of M&M that Blessed Sac had Garfield had Hawthorn had. It’s now a side show for college bands. Who ruined it all. There’s no difference anymore. Bring back DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS AND LET THR BAND STUFF STAY WITH THE THEATRICAL COLLEGE BANDS.

I feel the same way! Tom Pyke what’s next trombones. DCA ruined real drum and bugle corps.