Best slow solo ever?

radiosteele

Hey, River Rat, thanks for the nice review of the Hastings show.

That note I hit was the highest I ever played in a show. When I play that solo I always go to a D above double C, and then slide up to a G above that if I feel good. But that night I slid up beyond the G toa C (nine ledger lines above the staff), and it was solid. I don't know if I'll ever be that lucky again in a performance. I wish I had a recording of it.

Roger Grupp

In refference to the one armed soloist from Garfeild during Simple Song,that is indeed THE best solo of all time by far. Not only for the sound,but also for the story behind the emotion of the solo.

When marching BD the Contra tech/yoga and stretch out guy Jim McFarlan told us of the story of the one handed player of the solo.

It transpires that before the 83 finals that year her father passed away and during the solo she was letting out all of the emotion,and playing the solo to her father and dedicating it to him as she played.That is pure passion,and if you listen to it carefully you can hear some shakey tones of that emotion being released.

THE BEST EVER,BAR NONE.

Hey, River Rat, thanks for the nice review of the Hastings show.

That note I hit was the highest I ever played in a show. When I play that solo I always go to a D above double C, and then slide up to a G above that if I feel good. But that night I slid up beyond the G toa C (nine ledger lines above the staff), and it was solid. I don't know if I'll ever be that lucky again in a performance. I wish I had a recording of it.

Roger Grupp

Wish I had a recording too!

Unbelievable!!

Must have hurt! :blink:

Who was the sop soloist with Spirit ca. 1983-85. He might have been there before '83 or after '85. I just remember him from the years I marched. I always loved listening to him!

That would be Hunter Moss a 7 year vet (79 - 85) and currently on Spirit staff. He was one of the 4 members of that 80 mellophone line before becoming a soprano soloist. He sure gave us a lot of great hang it all out solos. BTW, you can still catch his act with CorpsVets...he's still got it!

As for slow solos, I have to give it up for my soprano playing buddy Joel Schultz (the original Georgia soloist) for his solo in the 80 version of Let It Be Me.

That would be Hunter Moss a 7 year vet (79 - 85) and currently on Spirit staff. He was one of the 4 members of that 80 mellophone line before becoming a soprano soloist. He sure gave us a lot of great hang it all out solos. BTW, you can still catch his act with CorpsVets...he's still got it!

As for slow solos, I have to give it up for my soprano playing buddy Joel Schultz (the original Georgia soloist) for his solo in the 80 version of Let It Be Me.

Thank you. Let him know he's one of my best drum corps memories! (That is if you still see him.)

Larrie Dastrup a Blue Devil was the best soloist (Dindi) then comes Jim Brady with Bridgeman 77-78. Bonnie Ott (Legend of the One Eye Sailor) is right up there. I would of loved to hear her play a siver horn. (King)

• Like 1

The main theme soloist in the middle of C1S in Concord '86 always struck me as the epitomy of the drum corps soprano soloist (especially he was staged on the DCI video that year)

Another one of my favorites is the baritone solo in Phantom '87 Nutcracker Suite. Gorgeous bay-bee!! (he ended up winning IE on baritone in '89)

Do you mean the guy with the beard (Mike Collins) or the girl framed by the cymbals (Diane Fashing)?

Both were great players, and nice people...Diane lives in TN now, but Collins is still in SoCal...gotta get that boy into SoCal Dream!