Best slow solo ever?

radiosteele

'86 Blue Devils..."The guy with the beard". To me, he is the benchmark of all Soprano soloists.

I wish I wasn't in 4th grade in '86...I would loved to have seen that show live. 2 years later though, that was one of the first shows I heard that answered the "What's Drum Corps" question...I've been hooked since.

If I ever run into Mike Collins again, I will delight in tellin ghim that he's known as "The Guy With the Beard from '86 BD" by drum corps fans all over the internet!

Joel Schultz from Spirit '80 in "let it be me"

most Recently:

Glassmen Flugel 2001/02 and Jeff, Melo soloist from the ballad section of the Spirit 2002 show.

Who was the dude who played the Nessun Dorma solo in '91 Phantom Regiment. Didn't hear him miss all year. That was a pro sound!!!

I do believe that was Ray Vasquez on sop. His rookie year out there. He is now the Jazz Studies chair of the ITG and Caption Head at Blue Stars. Great guy, he also teaches at U of MN - Duluth.

Also, I'd like to put my vote in for East Coast Jazz '98. Some guy named Adam on sop. I've never heard a better solo before or since in all of DCI. If you get the chance check it out, amazing.

Who was the dude who played the Nessun Dorma solo in '91 Phantom Regiment. Didn't hear him miss all year. That was a pro sound!!!

I do believe that was Ray Vasquez on sop. His rookie year out there. He is now the Jazz Studies chair of the ITG and Caption Head at Blue Stars. Great guy, he also teaches at U of MN - Duluth.

The guy who played the Nessun Dorma solo in '91 was a Mellophone player (who if I'm not mistaken is now the Brass Arranger for Phantom)....it was not a Soprano solo. Definitely one of the best Mellophone solos ever....very FAT sound. I always felt bad for him though, cause you can see his plume come off during the Finals video.

I think you may be confusing what came later in the show during Pagliacci. Also didn't that same Soprano player (Ray Vasquez ?) win Soprano Individuals that year ?

The guy who played the Nessun Dorma solo in '91 was a Mellophone player (who if I'm not mistaken is now the Brass Arranger for Phantom)....it was not a Soprano solo. Definitely one of the best Mellophone solos ever....very FAT sound. I always felt bad for him though, cause you can see his plume come off during the Finals video.

I think you may be confusing what came later in the show during Pagliacci. Also didn't that same Soprano player (Ray Vasquez ?) win Soprano Individuals that year ?

Completly right, nice catch man. Yeah, that's the guy. Guess i'll have to watch that show a little more carefully!

• 3 months later...

1981 Lancers had a good soprano soloist that played 2 solos in "Greatest Love of All". He had a sweet sound on both and never missed it that I heard.

Also, Kevin MacTaggart did an excellent job on the same chart for the Light Brigade alumni corps several years ago.

Definitely gotta put in that kid from Glassman the last couple of years. He was super!

Larrie Dastrup a Blue Devil was the best soloist (Dindi) then comes Jim Brady with Bridgeman 77-78. Bonnie Ott (Legend of the One Eye Sailor) is right up there. I would of loved to hear her play a siver horn. (King)

I found your assessment interesting. Personally, as a spectator for these years, I found the following to be true, but as always, it's only my opinion:

1.) Jim Brady of the Bridgemen( most unbelievable player ever)

2.) Kivet, Muchachos

3.) Bonnie Ott, BD

4.) Girl from 83 - 84 Cadets

5.) Larry Dastrup, BD

• Like 1

Hey, River Rat, thanks for the nice review of the Hastings show.

That note I hit was the highest I ever played in a show. When I play that solo I always go to a D above double C, and then slide up to a G above that if I feel good. But that night I slid up beyond the G toa C (nine ledger lines above the staff), and it was solid. I don't know if I'll ever be that lucky again in a performance. I wish I had a recording of it.

Roger Grupp

:o

O_O

Just. Nine...Oh man. I NEED to hear that.

*drool*

*passes out*