Traditional grip - Why?

Professor

I remember attending a clinic where it was stated (can't remember by who)

that many more muscles are used in matched grip than in traditional. The

point being that the more muscles involved, the better control and the better

the endurance.

Assuming that fact to be true, I too find it hard to understand why drum corps,

which often plays for hours on end, would not prefer matched grip.

I might make an interesting study to see if traditional grip snare players

suffer any more damage to their wrists and hands as compared to tenor

players using matched grip?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first started drumming, I was taught matched grip. That is what is commonly taking place with begining students today. I didnt start to learn traditional until my freshman year in High School. Now I can play both, but most definately prefer traditional grip when it comes to drumline. However I use match grip for most concert snare stuff, and most of the time when I play drumset. Each grip has its place. I think everyone should be able to play both. If all drumcorps were to switch to match grip, I probably wouldnt march 1) Because I cant play as well with match grip 2) I dont like the idea of playing match on a marching snare drum. Its all relative really. If you want to make it to the top in todays marching world, you should be able to do it all.

Hmmm...interesting conversation hear. Now, I was taught as a concert percussionist to play match grip simply because that makes the most sense: if both hands play with the same technique, it will be easier to get a consistent sound from hand to hand.

Let me warn you that the following is mere speculation and taken completely out of my a**, but here goes anyway. Perhaps the consistency of traditional grip being carried over to a flat drum has something to do with the fact that most people are not ambidextrous. Sure, through training, match grip could be perfected making your "weak" hand play up to the "strong" one, but instead of teaching both hands to play the same (which, in some ways, goes against how our brain functions), it may be easier to teach each hand a separate technique.

Think of it this way. Teaching two different parts of your brain to play the same away and achieve the same goal of sound (match grip) may be more difficult than teaching two different parts of your brain to play "different" ways and work towards achieving the same sound. It's just a thought and random speculation. Whaddayu think?

Edited by bdpit2000

Finleyville Crusaders were playing matched in 75. SCV went matched in 77. Oakland Crusaders considered going matched in 77 - until we beat SCV. In 78 a lot of lines were laying matched, but not winning drums (other than SCV & 27). when it became evident that lines playing matched weren't winning drums at Nationals, through the 1980s, most lines went back to traditional grip (check that long string of Bridgemen, Devils, and Garfield wins).

As one who has played traditional and matched, and taught both, I find absolutely no advanage to teaching matched for snare drum. In fact there is an advantage to teaching traditional. As I think back, the lines I taught that played traditional improved more rapidly.

I have yet to find anyone with two arms that are exactly the same, so teaching a technique that should look visually 'matched' from left to right just doesn't happen. Our bodies are not symetrical when comparing any part.

Take a close critical look next time you have a chance to watch someone, or a line, playing matched grip when they are playing exercises and you will spot differences in the arc of the height of rise, and differences in the heights relative to left and right hand. I don't care how accomplished the drummer is, you'll find differences. Then when you compare to a traditional line, the differences will be diminished.

I don't know technically why that is, but I'm not going to argue with what I've observed and experienced.

However, I have also found that there is a huge difference when using mallets as opposed to sticks. Mallets feel right when played matched, and quite wrong when played traditional. At least to me they do. The weight distribution of the implement, stick verses mallet, is likely the reason why.

regards,

John Swartz

Oaklands 77-80

Or … (and here’s something that will mess with your noodle) … maybe it’s genetics.

For example, I (a quad player) can’t play traditional grip if my life depended on it. I also recall hearing Bill Bachman saying that he suffered from the same sort of thing. So people who are genetically disposed to traditional grip gravity to the snare line, while “matched grippers” (hey, new term) take on everything else. I suppose, in the next century, when we are selecting the genetic makeup of our pre-conceived children, we can state … blue eyes, blond hair, straight teeth, and make sure he uses traditional grip.

John, thanks for that researched information about the winning drumlines through those years. That does seem like a compelling reason to abandon matched grip, whether you have an absolute explanation or not. See you at practice.

man i remember when Empire switched back in 01 to traditional. you would have thought the world was coming to an end.

but man they looked so cool!

I played match grip on snare in SCV '78. Was raised on traditional grip as a pup.

Did you know the night of finals night in Denver '78 we switched to traditional grip for the final push of 'If You Believe'. Right before the 'Bottle Dance'. It was high and rocked ala Fred Sanford phrasing to the max. We only practiced secretly doing it for about a week. Most of the guys in the line had a strong background with traditional grip so it wasn't to hard to make the switch.

I now prefer traditional grip.

Mom

Think of it this way. Teaching two different parts of your brain to play the same away and achieve the same goal of sound (match grip) may be more difficult than teaching two different parts of your brain to play "different" ways and work towards achieving the same sound. It's just a thought and random speculation. Whaddayu think?

From every article from both percussion magazines and from professors i've studied with, etc. This isn't true. Just because each hand is controlled by a different part of your brain does not mean it should be doing something different. As far as physical aspects it is easier to play or do anything with a mirror style. AS far as driving, drums, conducting, basketball. Baseball. You don't see people dribbling a basketball differently in each hand, or left handed pitchers, hitters pitching/hitting differently than the right handers. unless you are one of the few people that are classified as "split-brain" (wow medical terms.. ) you can't really do 2 different things with each side of your body and really be thinking about both sides simultaneously.. But you can train yourself to to 2 separate things with kinestetic responses and muscle memory. I'm wish I has saved some of these artcles over the years. Or even the recent ones i've read..

(btw I like traditional grip for the look and such better... but i'd use matched with my drumline unless they happened to be great musicians already)

When I first started playing trad for school, I hated it. Switching is terrible. They teach matched in school to beginning percussionists, which makes sense. There is one major advantage to trad that no one's mentioned yet: you can play a lot faster with your left hand (for righties). If you play mostly trad for a while, then go and try to play rudiments (especially paradiddles) you can't seem to play as fast. Try it, trad people.

The genetics idea was interesting... and probably somewhat true. If genetics plays a role in music ability in general (whether or not you have the hand eye coordination etc.) then it probably plays a role in which instrument you play (it takes different skills to play flute and percussion) then it also probably plays a role in whether or not you play matched or trad better. It has a lot more to do with experience playing though.