Traditional grip - Why?

Professor

Some great posts. Very interesting. Here's my question for all you marching snare drummers. I understand the argument for the symmetrical and power advantages of matched grip. In terms of playing and MARCHING, it seems to me that matched would better facilitate marching forward/backward. But I imagine traditional grip being easier for sideways and crabwalk marching due to the parallel position of the left hand. This would seem especially so when playing left-handed and marching left-sideways. Any thoughts? What's your experience?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some very interesting stuff. I've used both grips over the years, but still like trad over matched for marching and set work. It's one of those things that technically isn't suppose to work as well, but it just does for some odd reason. I think maybe because we all have a dominate side, (hand, ear, eye, etc) playing matched feels uncomfortable, like trying to throw a baseball with both arms at the same time, and trad gives a better balance. I've seen some lefty's play trad backwards so that's why I'm thinking this dominate side/balance thing might be a factor. You usually can't throw a ball as well with each arm , although, your arms are made the same. Maybe it's the same thing with drumming. Just a guess. When you look at some of the greats like Buddy, it's hard to argue too much against traditional.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

As far as physical aspects it is easier to play or do anything with a mirror style. AS far as driving, drums, conducting, basketball. Baseball. You don't see people dribbling a basketball differently in each hand, or left handed pitchers, hitters pitching/hitting differently than the right handers. unless you are one of the few people that are classified as "split-brain" (wow medical terms.. ) you can't really do 2 different things with each side of your body and really be thinking about both sides simultaneously..

I disagree. Pitchers only pitch with one arm, so when they're throwing the ball it's not a mirrored image. They're not right handers one day and left handers the next. In basketball, shooters have a hand they prefer to shoot with and dribble with. Almost everyone has an inherent strong/weak side make up that in not mirrored. You don't write with your left hand as well as your right. Tennis, bowling, boxing, almost any sport really, has this strong/weak side concept. In my thinking, this inherent strong/weak side make-up might apply to drumming as well. As, I mentioned in an earlier post, I've seen leftys play traditional backwards quite well. A tennis player doesn't switch raket hands after each point to play a mirrored match. Conducting is the same way, it would feel very awkward to switch baton hands.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

I was talking about 2 different players... Player A being right handed, and Player B being left handed.. they don't throw differently becuase they are one handed or the other. That was my point. So why should snare players play differently in each hand, it just makes things harder on the brain. It does add some cool visuals though..

So why should snare players play differently in each hand, it just makes things harder on the brain.

They should play differently in each hand because one hand is dominate and one is weak.. Just like an athlete doesn't throw the ball the same with each arm. I've been playing for a long time and playing trad isn't any harder on the brain. If anything it's more natural. Look at boxing. You don't use both arms in the same manner. One jabs, the other is a hook, one hand out in front, the other back. It would be unnatural to use both arms in exactly the same way.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

I was talking about 2 different players... Player A being right handed, and Player B being left handed.. they don't throw differently becuase they are one handed or the other.

Yes they do throw differently because they are one handed or the other. That's my point exactly. A right hander throws with his right hand, and a lefty with his left, That's different!!! They throw with their dominate arm. That's why some leftys play traditional backwards. I would buy your argument if athletes threw the ball equally well with each arm.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

Let me preface this by saying that I am NOT a drummer.

It seems to me that everyone is pointing out how traditional grip is harder to play than matched. Well... wouldn't that be the point of doing it, then? If everyone played matched, and they maxed out their licks... the next step would be to try to play it with a more difficult style, wouldn't it? Essentially, maybe you play traditional BECAUSE it's more difficult.

Also, from a drill perspective, doesn't playing matched grip cause you to have to give up about a half step on your left hand side to give room for your elbow? In a line of 9 people, that's over four steps of length to the snare line. Traditional seems like it would allow the line to stand closer together, and therefore be able to listen in (and across) better.

Just my two cents, for what it's worth :D

It seems to me that everyone is pointing out how traditional grip is harder to play than matched. Well... wouldn't that be the point of doing it, then? If everyone played matched, and they maxed out their licks... the next step would be to try to play it with a more difficult style, wouldn't it? Essentially, maybe you play traditional BECAUSE it's more difficult.

To me, traditional is easier, but then again I was raised on traditional so I'm probably biased, but I don't really think there's that big of a difference.

Just checked my "Top Scoring Drum Lines" video, and at least during their perc feature, it does show the 1980 Blue Devils playing matched grip. Anyone else see this? Or am I seeing things?