Which Sky Ryders Show Do You Like Most?

Which Sky Ryders Show Do You Like Most?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which Sky Ryders Show Do You Like Most?

• 1986, Wizard of Oz
    • 1987, West Side Story
    • 1988, Sound of Music

I'll go you one further G, 81 Sky has always been my favorite, probably because it was the first time I ever saw them and the soprano work alone blew me away. Of course 83 with "home on the range" was fantastic also.

Rich, do you remember we beat SkyRyders in Percussion in Allentown in 1981 prelims..I think it was exposure, not sure....LOL LOL LOL

~G~

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did you leave out so many ???? I prefer 1982 and 1989 by far over these......with 1987 and 88 real close.

the 1989 show was such an awesome, underated show, full of drama and color...a bit too sophisticated I think, the judges didn't know what to do with them

~G~

Are you sure you don't mean another year? I thought '89 was kind of dark and moody (or by color did you mean the CG?) compared with the delightful 86-88 programs. A couple of other DCM corps did Carmina Burana in '89 and I think one corps doing it is too many. Just my opinion.

• 3 months later...

I liked marching in the West Side Story Show better. As far as tour enjoyment, the 1985 Wizard of OZ was better bacause the buses worked.

88...wow...had the pitential to be soooo cheesy and bando, but my GOD what a job! Top to bottom the BEST Sky show ever...entertainment up the wazoo...the MOST hypin' guy in the snare line (black guy in the middle)...the BEST plume action you will EVER seen from the mello line on the last horns down...etc....the BEST 12th place show you will ever find...would've placed higher in almost any other year,.,,

One of those shows I kinda wish I could go back in time & march...

I'm glad you enjoyed the show. The snare you are refering to is Mickey Hertzog, who has been the percussion caption head for Pioneer for some time. He is an awesome player, and even helped write the book that year. As for the melly at the end, thanks - that was me :-)

Tim Kviz

Sky Ryder 85-88

Hmmm... my favorite insn't up there. :(

It will always be 1982 for me. I loved that show!

I chose 87...still remarkable in its ability to touch the heart even on DVD.

Still, one of my favorite shows by them (sometimes it's my favorite) is the 1989 show. Yes, I know, they went against character. But there was a time I played the DCI cassette tape of that show over and over and over again...probably drove everybody nuts. I loved the brass book and the "scary" guard. I loved watching them, the Freelancers, Suncoast, and Regiment that year. Really made my first year in corps memorable seeing performances like those!

1988 What incredible dynamics! It's a little ragged at times, but what passion and showmanship. Quite a show for 12th place.