Greatest Guard Performance Ever!

Guest GeorgeD

As far as winter guards go, Escapade's REM show...awesome and should have won! Their drill lookes like something that Brubaker or Zingali would have written...fast and ferious!

CNAL

YES!!!  Escapade's REM year is absolutely incredible...I show it to everyone when I introduce them to winter guard (my friends are SO tired of that show now...LOL)  That has got to be some of the most difficult indoor drill I've ever seen...

DCI - BD '94 (just love the show) and of course Madison '95! I enjoyed Glassmen's guard this past year too - better than the previous two years. :)

DCA - Sun the year they did Les Mis...incredible for senior corps!  :)

Wow, that's exactly what I do too! When I want to show people what winter guards are, that is the first tape I pull out...no wonder when WGI asked for the fans favorite 15, Escapade made it on the very first tape! Not to take anything away from San Jose with their "Bolaro" performance, but all sabres? Come on, it's winter guard, not sabres only! Yes, it was beautiful, but would I show that first to people who have never seen winter guards? Nope! To me (and I am a G.E. judge for a winter guard circuit) Escapade grabbed me by the throat and pulled me down into the floor...a G.E. judge's dream!

CNAL

• 2 weeks later...

There are many in the drum corps world. I would have to agree with Garyifny in the 5th post, while adding the Cadets in 92, "To Tame the Perilous Skies".

• 2 weeks later...

hmmmm, bishop kearney, the "sybil year"......this year i only saw california guards, have to admit kennedy h.s.'s "rainbow connection" was about as uplifting as a show could be.  el toro h.s. junior varsity, i believe.  9 kids and the show design made them look huge.  no weapons, just flags, and it was breathtaking.  stark and lush all at the same time.  well done!

Ü

jan

One show that I never saw live, but have on tape, is Blessed Sac's Gordon Lightfoot show. What an amazing show: perfectly written, and beautifully performed by the guard. So musical. One of the most ethereal shows I've ever seen. Which is amazing, considering what a huge style change that was for Blessed Sac.

And, of course, there were Skylarks and Cavaliers. So many memorable winter guards, but they're the ones I think of first.

In terms of high school winter guard shows, my favorites are all by Union. The butterfly show, the bird show, and the mannequin show are incomparable, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Picks based strictly on seeing live performances:

Cadets 1994. I'm biased as 2 of my best friends from h.s. were in the guard, but it's my personal fave for the corps.

Cavies 1999. Best I've ever seen them and matched the show concept perfectly (disclaimer: I did not see Cavies at all in 2000 or 2001)

Blue Devils 1996. Pure ###### gangsta color guard.

Winter Guard:

Emerald Marquis 1992. When I saw them during the season I thought the show was kinda "cold", but since then it's become one of my favorites.

San Jose Raiders 1992.

Escapade 1992-1995 Well, you know, um.......I have never EVER in any band/corps/guard medium heard the kind of ovations this guard received at championships ALL 4 YEARS. And in every case it was justified. Anyone who wants to see what it takes to turn on an audience and still be a clean, championship-caliber group needs to watch this guard's videos until they go blind.

Bishop Kearney 1995