Best guard award at finals in 1978

byline

OK, we have this debate raging over on RAMD, so I thought I'd post the question here to see if anyone can provide a definitive answer.

Someone posted that Santa Clara Vanguard and 27th Lancers tied for the top color guard score at finals in 1978. However, several people are disputing that, insisting that Phantom Regiment's guard won the top guard award. Everything I have on hand here at home confirms that Santa Clara and Two-Seven tied (both guards received a perfect score of 2.0), but Santa Clara actually won the best guard award. Here's what I have:

The DCI recap, as published in the 1979 yearbook, for the 1978 DCI finals color guard scores:

Santa Clara Vanguard--2.0

Phantom Regiment--1.9

Blue Devils--1.9

Madison Scouts--1.8

Bridgemen--1.9

Spirit of Atlanta--1.8

27th Lancers--2.0

Blue Stars--1.7

Crossmen--1.9

North Star--1.7

Guardsmen--1.9

Kilts--1.9

I also looked at my 1978 DCI album liner notes. About 27th Lancers, Steve Rondinaro writes: "The 27th Lancers have always had one of the most energetic shows around. Furious tempos, great guard work and loads of flash are trademarks. The 9.9 GE M&M mark and 2.0 in guard bear witness."

About Santa Clara, he writes: "A perfect guard score and 10's in GE M&M and percussion (29.8 total), along with high field drums (19.1) provided the edge."

According to notes I took back in 1978 (I was sitting in the stands at finals, and wrote down what the announcer said), for some reason, Santa Clara and 27th Lancers did not share the top color guard award. That went to Santa Clara. I have no idea why. Would it be because Santa Clara, as a corps, placed higher?

Here's what I wrote down for caption awards in 1978:

Top GE: Santa Clara Vanguard

Top color guard: Santa Clara Vanguard

Top drum line: Santa Clara Vanguard

Top horn line: Phantom Regiment

Top M&M: Blue Devils

Other people who were there--including someone who marched in 27th Lancers' guard at that time, and remembers very clearly that it was Phantom, not Two-Seven or Santa Clara, who won the guard award--insist DCI's public record is wrong, and Phantom definitely won the guard award in 1978. (I feel like I'm writing to Ann Landers.) Who's right?

BTW, I don't mean to question who was most deserving of that award. All three guards were fine and, IMO, equally deserving of the guard award. They had radically different styles, but all three were the epitome of what they did.

• 1 month later...

sue, you know i respect your opinion, and i agree with you on this subject.......with one exception.  i still bleed red, black and white, with a little raspberry and fuschia thrown in for good measure.  i have to go with phantom.  i remember that night, and the guard was on fire.  john brazale did a great job preparing them and they ran with the show.

this is not to take anything away from any other guard.....just my opinion.

Ü

jan

82 geneseo knights

83-85 phantom regiment

daughter of a drummer from the vfw post that evolved into pr, so i was blessed from birth!

sue, you know i respect your opinion, and i agree with you on this subject.......with one exception.  i still bleed red, black and white, with a little raspberry and fuschia thrown in for good measure.  i have to go with phantom.  i remember that night, and the guard was on fire.  john brazale did a great job preparing them and they ran with the show.

this is not to take anything away from any other guard.....just my opinion.

Ü

jan

82 geneseo knights

83-85 phantom regiment

daughter of a drummer from the vfw post that evolved into pr, so i was blessed from birth!

Jan,

A "little" fuschia ?? !! Ha ha ha !!!!

You certainly marched in some memorable guards..and I just LOVE your signature !!!!!  

Geoffrey

well, geoffrey, it's true.  dad still hasn't shared all the stories, but i keep getting a little bit out of him every time i go home.  we end up in the "shrine" room, as my sisters call it....aka the family room.  all my drum corps pictures, awards, etc. are on the walls.  he even has my helmet i wore in one parade, a shield from the "spartacus" years, my old flags, my "life preserver" from the '83 winter guard...you can imagine.  he also has all his awards from his career in law enforcement on the walls.  two of my sisters don't appreciate this room, and i can't blame them.  i'm not going to let garry go in there when we go to chicago to visit.

all that said, i'm phantom through and through.  mom says i was at my first corps show when i was all of 1 week old.  they still had shows in september back in '63...i didn't stand a chance.  my other sisters were born BEFORE corps season (march, april and may) but i didn't stand a chance.  a season of corps in utero and then in the stands 7 days after i landed on this planet.....and people wonder why i'm still doing it today!

hey, am i going to meet you at any shows this summer?  hmmmm, there's some trouble brewing!

Ü

jan

daughter of blah blah blah, blessed from birth........