Tuba (Contra) lines

robot

okay, i'm still not hearing it... i've seen bd live, recordings, i've stood right in front of the hornline... and i'll give you clean... but i won't give you sound... what sound? bd's contraline is surely full of talent... but the arrangments *MINUS some of the cool bass lines(ie 86,89,02)* are just completely dead to bass. it is just a different philosophy i guess...

Edited by GeneralTsoChicken

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay, i'm still not hearing it... i've seen bd live, recordings, i've stood right in front of the hornline... and i'll give you clean... but i won't give you sound... what sound? bd's contraline is surely full of talent... but the arrangments *MINUS some of the cool bass lines(ie 86,89,02)* are just completely dead to bass. it is just a different philosophy i guess...

Wayne tends to write BD's contra books with octave splits or i/V splits to increase texture more than the volume.

Thickens things up a bit.

The sound is there, believe me.

okay, i'm still not hearing it... i've seen bd live, recordings, i've stood right in front of the hornline... and i'll give you clean... but i won't give you sound... what sound?  bd's contraline is surely full of talent... but the arrangments  *MINUS some of the cool bass lines(ie 86,89,02)* are just completely dead to bass.  it is just a different philosophy i guess...

Not to go tooting my own horn here (pun intended!) but the two years I was there, we had outstanding lines. Both lines can be heard on the recordings just fine even when the rest of the hornline is blowing full bore.

Some could argue that it is Wayne's writing because I have heard the same complaints about Brigs over in DCA. Without the sound that both lines produce, the sound would be incredibly bright. This is because of the arranging in the upper voices, it's higher then most people are used to playing on a regular basis.

BD has always been known for it's soprano section. That is why the low brass doesn't often get the credit they deserve. Go back and listen to the overall sound the BD's lines are producing, you'll notice a difference.

And marching...there is no comparasin! ^0^

Edited by spcbrass

IDONO BD hasn't really given me an opputunity to hear there lines. They usually just play the typical tuba parts. But they are good but I don't think I would say the best. But I will say again they are good at what they do. :)

IDONO BD hasn't really given me an opputunity to hear there lines. They usually just play the typical tuba parts. But they are good but I don't think I would say the best. But I will say again they are good at what they do. :)

The parts are far from normal Tuba parts, and the sound is even farther away from a Tuba sound. The sound of the hornline at times can sound more like a giant organ then brass. That is the sound they are trying to achieve. So if you listening for tuba sound, trumpet sound, or any other sound that you ear would typically hear and identify as a brass sound you are not going to hear these individual sections. Take out the contras for a moment (sorry still having a hard time calling them tubas!) and listen to the sound of their honrline. And them back in and the sound has tremedous power and depth. Yet it doesn't sound like a tuba.

You newer guys in "The Line" can vouch for this I am sure unless John has made some sort of radical change.

The parts are far from normal Tuba parts, and the sound is even farther away from a Tuba sound. The sound of the hornline at times can sound more like a giant organ then brass. That is the sound they are trying to achieve. So if you listening for tuba sound, trumpet sound, or any other sound that you ear would typically hear and identify as a brass sound you are not going to hear these individual sections. Take out the contras for a moment (sorry still having a hard time calling them tubas!) and listen to the sound of their honrline. And them back in and the sound has tremedous power and depth. Yet it doesn't sound like a tuba.

You newer guys in "The Line" can vouch for this I am sure unless John has made some sort of radical change.

100% correct.

We add to the texture as you said, more like an organ....rather than say...a bass guitar would add bass to a rock band.

Am I the only one that was impressed by the cavies 03 tuba line who not only can march and spin like no one ever could... but can play REALLY FAST? CLEANLY?!? :wall:

Edited by OC Euph

Ok I see that and that is good because that is what they are going for. But sometimes IMHO the tuba line should have some part where they are featured and that doesn't happen enough for me. I know I really don't matter but this is just my opinion :) . Take Cadets 03 in Rocky Point when the hornline turns backfield after the hit when there in the huge diamond listen to the tuba sounds that is what I like to hear. :wall: . Those were incredible sounds that really haven't heard from many other tuba lines. b**bs