Tuba (Contra) lines

robot

Phantom ... no one will ever have a better sound that any section of phantom ... there sound is sooooo deep and dark, just how it should be. Last year at Finals, they were the ONLY corps I heard that you could still hear the brass after they cut off. sorry to all you BD psychos out there but the contra line is not really that audible, and the sound of the whole horn line for both Cadets and BD are just too pinched of a sound for my liking

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blue Devils do have the most consistent sounding contra section, and there's no way that anyone could ever argue against that with sufficient evidence... just personal preference (and/or bias). BUT... I know for a fact that their contra section has a tradition of sending the drill writer a case of Mountain Dew as payment for the drill (which is noticeably easier than Cadets, SCV, or Cavaliers). And that I do not respect. If we are talking about musical performance, BD wins, but if we're talking about overall drum corps activity performance, then it's still pretty much up in the air. Phantom's contras overblow a lot and hangover releases more than most, cadets are always solid but not outstanding...

I would have to go with Cavies because they showed they can march, play the technical stuff, and play with a good supportive bass sound. And I've never heard them ever stick out or overblow. The only flaw I noticed on the DVD was when the section where they're all in pairs and some sit down and stuff, there's a lick where the tubas have some ascending eighth notes followed by a sustain... and they blew that sustain way sharp... like 30 cents. But other than that... I'd say cavies won 2003.

BUT... I know for a fact that their contra section has a tradition of sending the drill writer a case of Mountain Dew as payment for the drill (which is noticeably easier than Cadets, SCV, or Cavaliers). And that I do not respect.

That is without a doubt the dumbest and most disrespectful thing I've ever seen in the Brass Forum. Having actually marched in a Blue Devils contra line, I can tell you we marched the dots we were given, and never - NEVER - asked for easier drill. I, along with my bretheren of The Line through the years are insulted by your ignorance.

Besides, if we were going to buy off the design team, we'd do it with a case of beer, not stupid Mountain Dew.

Moron.

oh and about the cavies contra line ehh there cool guys who are all amazing indvidual players but I am not sure they play as well as other lines together. But they do have a lot of good moments. :)

Where in the last three years did they NOT play together? Listened to 03 cavies today and the contra line seemed pretty darn good to me.

BUT...  I know for a fact that their contra section has a tradition of sending the drill writer a case of Mountain Dew as payment for the drill (which is noticeably easier than Cadets, SCV, or Cavaliers).  And that I do not respect.

That is without a doubt the dumbest and most disrespectful thing I've ever seen in the Brass Forum. Having actually marched in a Blue Devils contra line, I can tell you we marched the dots we were given, and never - NEVER - asked for easier drill. I, along with my bretheren of The Line through the years are insulted by your ignorance.

Besides, if we were going to buy off the design team, we'd do it with a case of beer, not stupid Mountain Dew.

Moron.

I know several guys who have marched with the Blue Devils contra line who can confirm this... how do you think that I would have found out about it anyway. The choice of mountain dew over beer is because mountain dew just happens to be the drill writer's preference, not 'The Line''s preference. Maybe you don't know about this because it happened after your time, but I do know that it happened as recently as 1999.

Actually, our drill writer is OBSESSED with Mountain Dew. It is a tradition for The Line to give him MD because we like him and he likes MD.

I would know this, because I AM on The Line.

Thanks for playing. Bye-Bye.

Kam..I guess its a fairly recent thing, but believe me...no one even begins to mention that it has anything to do with the drill.

Mr. Murphy is not one to be messed with....we love the guy, so he gets his fav carbonated beverage, courtesy of The Line.

-----------------

Concord Blue Devils - The Line- 03-05

Edited by TubaDevil

Maybe you don't know about this because it happened after your time, but I do know that it happened as recently as 1999.

Until I hear it directly from a member of The Line, you'll pardon me if I think you "friend of my uncle's sister's mistress" story is bunk. Besides, I can see this as being anything but a goof. If they gave Jay anything, it would be because he writes great drill, not because they want easier drill.

Mountain Dew indeed. And only a case? If I was offered that, I'd make thier drill harder on account of the insult.

Edited by Kamarag