DCA Stories Pre 1990

You guys ever hear of Phoenix...there are some real stories there.

Donny

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vic, the guy in Bush threw something at the guy, water or something. He went out on the field. I couldnt beleive it either cause he was the quietest guy i know

It was a water bottle that a tenor player was tossing off the field and it hit the guy from sky in the leg. What also stands out is that the tempo for the opener was kicked up another 20 clicks plus it was the first time we beat Sun enroute to the big tie in Hershey.

Can't believe that was 16 years ago.....We're old.

Jim Dugan

it was all dugans fault :P

After the 77 DCA, Sky and Sun did not get along all that well until a hot Sunday afternoon in Booton, NJ in "81". There was no retreat that day so corps started to party after their performance. While Sky was on the field, someone from Sun yelled something not to complementary from the stands. Of course Sky took offence to this and after the show, some words, hands and beer bottles were exchanged.

It was all over in about five minutes.

I think all the other corps left ASAP so they would not "get involved". That left just Sky and Sun in the parking lot.

Well, both corps moved over to the bar across the street and had one of the most knock down drag them out parties I have ever been to. That built a friendship between the two corps that I think still exists today.

Well the guy in the stands was yelling "Intonenation, Intonenation"

Well the guy in the stands was yelling "Intonenation, Intonenation"

BigLou,

If we (Sun) ever find this guy, I'll buy him a beer....LOL

Wonder what the relationship between Sky and Sun would have been if not for that night....

Tony B)

BigLou,

If we (Sun) ever find this guy, I'll buy him a beer....LOL

Wonder what the relationship between Sky and Sun would have been if not for that night....

Tony B)

That was actually in Bloomfield NJ in '81. Quite a party after that show, to say the least!!!!!

The Boonton show, the Sunday before DCA Championship weekend in 1980, was another story. That was the night we were "deputized" to close the parking lot!!!!

Several of us Sunrisers had taken the week prior to the championships off from work, since we used to rehearse a few nights that week leading up to Labor Day weekend.

So here we were, all hanging out in the Boonton parking lot after the show, consuming adult beverages, when the local sheriff pulls up in his car. Of course, we thought he was going to ask us to leave! But he leans out of his car and says, "I'm looking for the Sunrisers." "That would be us," someone says. The sheriff replies, "I thought you guys were great today.... should have had a higher score!!!"

Then he looks around, observes the party scene, and tells us, "If anyone comes by to kick you out of the parking lot, tell 'em the sheriff says you can all stay as long as you want!"

So of course we took that as license to party till the wee hours, since we had been "deputized" to hang around. True story!!!!!

Fran

• 1 month later...
  • 17 years later...
On 6/23/2004 at 1:21 PM, soloist8603 said:

Speaking of the Carlisle show,

The year was 1985 and my former brother-in-law was getting married that weekend. I was in the wedding and told staff I was not going to be able to make the show. Of course back then I was always told YOU CANNOT EVER MISS A SHOW.

Well my response to that was " then put me on a plane and fly me to the show". #### if they didn't find someone. It was our business manger, who just happened to be a pilot. He said he was taking some additional training and would be able to get me to the show.

So after the wedding ceremony I rushed to Monroeville Airport, (12 miles east of Pittsburgh) and squeezed into a Cessna 172. Now never being on a plane before, it made the flight somewhat stressful. They told me it was a 4 seater, but only a cardboard cut-out of a person could have sat beside me.

To make a short story even longer, as we appraoched Carlisle we buzzed the stadium and then landed at the nearby airport, (after circling over Three Mile Island nuclear plant). I got into a waiting car and warmed up on the way to the stadium. I got there about 15 minutes before Steel City went on. The soprano who thought he had to cover for me was the happiest to see me that day.

#### they took you the whole way to HIA or New Cumberland. they should have landed at the Carlisle landing strip

Edited by Jeff Ream