DCA Stories Pre 1990

oh here we go. 100 versions and and stories of what happened, who's at fault etc.

i dunno if this is the part of old stories i love most or hate most

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL very true

I am just saddened to see that the first really active thread in the senior historical forum is about fighting.

Doesn't send a good message to the youth, does it?

IMO

Vic, the guy in Bush threw something at the guy, water or something. He went out on the field. I couldnt beleive it either cause he was the quietest guy i know

It was a water bottle that a tenor player was tossing off the field and it hit the guy from sky in the leg. What also stands out is that the tempo for the opener was kicked up another 20 clicks plus it was the first time we beat Sun enroute to the big tie in Hershey.

Can't believe that was 16 years ago.....We're old.

Jim Dugan

:rolleyes:

OK you'se guys!

I don't have any pre 77 stories except for a couple of horror stories from the 72 Legion  nationals in Chitown, but since I noticed Fran was looking in, here's one to jog HIS memories.

MBI went out to Allentown in 77 for its 1st real shot at DCA.  On Sunday morning, we moved en masse to an area about 1/2 mile down the street from ASD (J. Birney Crum) Stadium to get one last run through before Prelims.  As we were marching back to the lot where the busses were, we started hearing a lot of yelling.  As we came around the busses, we saw Hawthorne in one spot, the Sunrisers in another, and in the middle agitating everybody were the Skyliners.

to make a long story short, amongst a cloud of dust, the 3 corps got into it, hands , sticks, flag pikes and rifles were flying everywhere, not to mention the f- bombs.  We all sat on our busses in shock.  I felt bad for Sun. They were the only one of the 3 corps who had women, since Sky and Hawthorne were still all male.  I can't imagine how some of the injured went on for both prelims and Finals that day, but I did see people with black eyes and swollen lips going out for Finals.

That was one of the best shows I remember seeing, as Hawthorne made a big run at Finals, only to fall .05 short.. Sunrisers had a great show too, but what a way to remember my first DCA show. 

Pat

That ain't quite the way I heard it. 3 guys from Sky (Butch Anderson, Wes Myers and one other) were jumped by members of Sun swinging horns and fists and connecting! Cos saw what was going on and turned the Cabs loose to assist 3 very out-numbered Skyliners. That's the version that was told to me, by Cabs and Sky alike. Again, I wasn't there, but that's what I was told. I have no idea what or who instigated the ensuing melee.

Ray

very correct ray

Not even close to the truth - except for Cabs coming down off the hill.

Larry, you beat me to it!!!!

No offense to my friends in Sky and Cabs, because we are now in a completely different era where I'd have a hard time imagining a situation like the one in 1977.

But give me a break here.

The two people who probably could best tell the story (Butch Anderson and Teddy Heumann) are both no longer with us.

This is one of those War Stories that most likely will continue to have a life of its own for another century or so.

Bottom line? I think pretty much all involved in that '77 fiasco have MOVED ON with their lives, in and out of drum corps. And that, I think, is for the best.

Fran

Into the Sunriser War Stories treasure chest we go: (this actually is one of the tamer stories from my time with Sun. Some of the REALLY wacko stuff that happened over the years is probably not even fit for a drum corps audience!!!! LOL)

The year: 1981 or 1982. Both years we (Sunrisers) were hired by publisher/Mets owner Nelson Doubleday to do an exhibition at a party he threw for his wealthy friends at a Long Island country club over the 4th of July weekend.

We did a full run-through of our show in uniform, while Mr. Doubleday and friends watched us from on top of a hill, and afterwards we got to chill out and drink some beer that Mr. Doubleday had provided.

So here we are, after our performance, hanging around having a beer or two (or 20.) We notice that there were a number of very expensive cars (BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc.) parked all over the golf course at the country club (the cars driven by the Doubleday group). Unlocked, with the keys still in the cars.

Next thing we know, here comes Dave Whelan, one of our soprano players, driving up to us in one of those expensive cars. "Hop in!" he says. "I'm takin' this for a ride around the golf course!!!!"

My brother Lenny was corps director at the time, and happened to be standing there when Dave drove up. Lenny's response to Dave was basically, WTF are you doing????? Then he realized that Dave was serious about this, and when Dave made his mind up about something (often something illegal) you didn't stand in his way. So Lenny basically told him, "OK, I didn't see this. If you get caught, it's on you."

So off went Dave on his joyride. He didn't get caught.

Later, Lenny was hanging around when a member of the Doubleday party, falling-down drunk, stumbled out to get in his car. The car Dave had, uh, "moved" earlier, now parked in a completely different location. The guy was clueless as to what had happened!!!! "Where's my #### car... I swear I left it right here", etc.

Just another day in paradise!!

Fran

BTW, there's also the "golf ball in the crotch during the performance" story from that very same day. But that shall remain locked up in the Sunriser archives for now!!!!!

Edited by Fran Haring

Vic, the guy in Bush threw something at the guy, water or something. He went out on the field. I couldnt beleive it either cause he was the quietest guy i know

It was a water bottle that a tenor player was tossing off the field and it hit the guy from sky in the leg. What also stands out is that the tempo for the opener was kicked up another 20 clicks plus it was the first time we beat Sun enroute to the big tie in Hershey.

Jim Dugan

Yep..now I remember..it was..and Bush did accelrate "just a little" during the opener!

Wow 16 years ago..... Your Old!! not me! lol

Get Sean and Jim and my Dad on here to tell some OLD war stories!! YIKES

Jim Dugan

See so you owe me for helping :P

I am just saddened to see that the first really active thread in the senior historical forum is about fighting.

Doesn't send a good message to the youth, does it?

IMO

John,

It wasn't just the Srs..... we can tell you ALOT of those stories involvig the Jr Corps... Bayonne/Phantom

St Lucy's/ Boston lock up in Bridgeport...

and more... just ask the Older crew. And forget if you ever left one Corps to go to a competitor..better bring a body guard with you for awhile...

But remember..those go back when you didn't just hate your competitors On the field.but also OFF.... today... you hate them on the field as a competitor..but off...today is a lot different. We are all in this activity together and all share the same common goals... We just where different colors. Are there still some problems..sure.. there are still some of the old animosities, just not in the open as much. Is there problems between Corps members or staffs still? Sure , but usually brought on by something stupidly said or an uncalled for action..same as the work place or any social event/activity involving alot of different personalities. And when we talk about these events that took place, a lot of tongue-in-cheek is used also. Its a part of our history...Didn't our Fore-Fathers fight or argue when putting this Country together? ...what about sports teams...YIKES....anyway..just my thoughts and 3 .5 cents!

Enjoy them...they change every year!

Jim Dugan

Yep..now I remember..it was..and Bush did accelrate "just a little" during the opener!

Wow 16 years ago..... Your Old!! not me! lol

Get Sean and Jim and my Dad on here to tell some OLD war stories!! YIKES

Vic, arent you older then me? :P