Info for the Red Carpet Association

Been reading the discussion about the York (yes, they were from PA) Whites Roses and had to chime in with some "history" as I'd been an instructor from near beginning to the end.

YWR was formed by a few ex-members of the successful 1960s jr. corps. Most of the ex-junior had already gone on to corps such as Bucs, YR, WS, Hanover, etc. Equipment was scrounged up from ex-members and from the Crispus Attucks, where an unsuccessful attempt had been made to start another junior corps. They had, I believe one, maybe two, years of field competition with a small corps made up mostly of rookie members, very young and old - with only a handful of experienced players from the old junior corps - a challenging start! Last and next to last place finishes marked its initiation to competition.

The informal "merger" with members from the Chocolatiers helped the corps immensely bringing some veteran players to the game. Ron Rudy was director, Whitey Roberts did the drill, Bill Taberling did the horns and Steve Young, drums. The corps practiced in York and marched under the name of YWR only; although the Hershey name was possibly used in the corps' introduction to acknowledge the "partnership" of the two, and no doubt much more would have been announced at their home show. I was there, but notice that announcement...guess I was distracted. That merger lasted only a year.

The following winter, with the loss of the Hershey contingent (mostly horns) a number of remaining members began migrating to the much more stable and successful Hanover Lancers, located about 20 miles away. The corps never made it to the field, or even the street after that. Don't know what ever happened to the corps hall, uniforms or equipment or history.

They worked hard, made progress and were proud of their efforts and limited successes in such a short period of time.

JimF...ask Wales, Foss or Wally R about YRW.

Steve

PS: Hey, Fillipelli......is that you, ....the bearded wonder of '70 and '71?

Edited by sky

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey thanks, that answers a lot of questions I had for the last 25+ years (man has it been that long). Saw a the corps a lot of times in 1976 and they did have an entertaining show even if they came in last place almost all the times I saw them.

I'm saving this thread for my history files. :)

I am pretty sure York White Roses were from Toronto not PA

nope, ask Dan Rippon of 5 Star,............I saw them in Erie for RCA championships in 75 and 76, definitely York, PA,.............says so in the program book I'm looking at now,.....................

York started as a junior corps, Bill Toomey DM, and some drill guy known as Rich Templin in the sop line. Not sure when they officialy went senior.

I asked Wally about Roses. He wasnt sure, as he went straight from Shore to the Yankee Rebels.

Right on "Wild Bill" and Templin, Jeff, but.....AL Post 127 of York, PA, sponsored a senior corps that competed at least as early as the 1950s. I remember seeing some of their shows which included Reilly, Archie, Hawthorne, YR, Pittsburgh and others around 56-59. Around 1960, with interest waning, they formed the junior corps. In addition to those guys, York also had a couple "good" sopranos like Ritchee Price, Dave Hughes among others. The consistently good drum line, topped all juniors and seniors at 1964 AL states. The corps won PA VFW & AL championships 67-69. The draft took a high toll and the corps folded in the early 70s.

Steve

i didnt know they started senior first thanks! and how could i forget Ritchee!

Talk about Deja Vu all over again <$1 to Yogi Berra>. Talked to one of the older Lancers before the "rain blessed" Gettysburg parade and he brought up the Crispus Atticks group and YWR. Then we talked about the pink and black Keystoners from Milton and some other corps before my time. (Wish I would have had a tape recorder.) :(

Milton aka "OK they have a corps, now where the #### is the TOWN???"

Templin's hometown is Milton too.

also where the Criswells and the Wilts came from

Templin's hometown is Milton too.

also where the Criswells and the Wilts came from

Didn't realize that's Richs area. Pretty sure that's Terry Martins area also as he came down with a couple of Keystoners to Westshore around '77 or so.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari