Les Eclipses 1986

I remember in 1986 that Les Eclipse opened the season with a 37.7 and finished 14th at DCI with a 83.1. That is a huge level of improvement over the course of one season. Does anyone know why they had such a poor start for a corps that finished 14th in 1985? It's very interesting. Go to corpsreps.com and you can see the scores for that season. It is really unreal.

• Like 1

Believe it or not, I actually judged both of these shows and must have seen Les Eclipse at least 10 times that season. They put the corps together at the very last moment, which was not unusual in Quebec due to school requirements and they had an extremely demanding show. It deserved the 30's early on. It was not pretty. The corps worked their tails off and had some strong talent. Got it to the 80's by hard work and desire.

If I recall correctly, they were getting their butts whipped by Class A corps early on and were not even close to open corps they would later beat. It seemed every week some corps that was beating Les Eclipses would find the situation reversed.

They put on a break out, smoking performance at the US Open that year and their score caused quite a stir in the critique. It got rather contenious to say the least! :-) They may have beat some open corps for the first time that season in Marion.

If the season was a week or two longer, who knows? They might have made finals.

This sorta jars my memory a little. I remember they changed majority of their show and something just clicked with them and they were really good at the end of the year. They were the come back corps that year, I think anyway.

accidental double post.Sorry.

Edited by Lancerlady

Believe it or not, I actually judged both of these shows and must have seen Les Eclipse at least 10 times that season. They put the corps together at the very last moment, which was not unusual in Quebec due to school requirements and they had an extremely demanding show. It deserved the 30's early on. It was not pretty. The corps worked their tails off and had some strong talent. Got it to the 80's by hard work and desire.

If I recall correctly, they were getting their butts whipped by Class A corps early on and were not even close to open corps they would later beat. It seemed every week some corps that was beating Les Eclipses would find the situation reversed.

They put on a break out, smoking performance at the US Open that year and their score caused quite a stir in the critique. It got rather contenious to say the least! :-) They may have beat some open corps for the first time that season in Marion.

If the season was a week or two longer, who knows? They might have made finals.

Thank you for your input. I thought they must have collapsed the first show, but after reviewing the whole season scores, they did get their butts handed to them by a lot of Class A corps. What a great story. I love stuff like this. What a cool finish that must have been for them. Did you judge Quarters too? Looks like they slipped a bit in Semis.

Hey all,

I marched Les Eclipses back then. I don't know why, but we always had trouble recruiting horn players. We started out the season in '86 with maybe 25-30 horns and 25-30 holes. Plus schools let out at the end of June here in Montreal, so our first tour was weekend only shows, as we had to get back to school on the Monday.

1986 was a special year. We REALLY worked our a###s off, and literally picked up members anywhere we could to fill out the ranks. Alot of people ended up coming from Avant Garde that year (they had just folded). The corps didn't have alot of money (mild understatement!!!!) we were still recovering from our disqualification in 1984, we were lucky if we ate twice a day, but the people I marched with were the craziest drum corps nuts I'd ever met. The only thing that mattered was our show.

We knew we'd improve dramatically (we did that every year) but it was always funny to see the rookie members faces during those first retreats when A-60 corps were beating us (by alot!!!).

That was the year that we took DCEast by storm and actually beat the 27th Lancers at a show in Syracuse the next day. Wow what a high!!!!...

And I definately think that with an extra week or two, we would have been in finals no problem. And I still think that we should've been 12th. Check out the spread in scores between Sky Ryders and us from Quartes to finals - but hey, we still managed 14th - and had a #### of a fun show.

Man I miss that corps...

later,

Mike

Les Eclipses 85,86

• Like 1

• 13 years later...
On 6/21/2004 at 10:25 AM, Guardguy89 said:

Hey all,

I marched Les Eclipses back then. I don't know why, but we always had trouble recruiting horn players. We started out the season in '86 with maybe 25-30 horns and 25-30 holes. Plus schools let out at the end of June here in Montreal, so our first tour was weekend only shows, as we had to get back to school on the Monday.

1986 was a special year. We REALLY worked our a###s off, and literally picked up members anywhere we could to fill out the ranks. Alot of people ended up coming from Avant Garde that year (they had just folded). The corps didn't have alot of money (mild understatement!!!!) we were still recovering from our disqualification in 1984, we were lucky if we ate twice a day, but the people I marched with were the craziest drum corps nuts I'd ever met. The only thing that mattered was our show.

We knew we'd improve dramatically (we did that every year) but it was always funny to see the rookie members faces during those first retreats when A-60 corps were beating us (by alot!!!).

That was the year that we took DCEast by storm and actually beat the 27th Lancers at a show in Syracuse the next day. Wow what a high!!!!...

And I definately think that with an extra week or two, we would have been in finals no problem. And I still think that we should've been 12th. Check out the spread in scores between Sky Ryders and us from Quartes to finals - but hey, we still managed 14th - and had a #### of a fun show.

Man I miss that corps...

later,

Mike

Les Eclipses 85,86

It was in 85 that Les Eclipses beat 27th in Syracuse.  I can say that our staff was not too happy with us!!   LOL

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/21/2004 at 10:25 AM, Guardguy89 said:

Hey all,

Man I miss that corps...

later,

Mike

Les Eclipses 85,86

Mike, if you want to recapture some of that feeling, come and join Les Diplomates.  Many former "Éclipse" have joined or perhaps you have already done so!  Salut, Bob P.