Kennesaw

Standstill in the gym, don't really understand why it wasn't a standstill outside, since I didn't see it rain at any point during the performances, and only a little bit from 3PM till the show started.

I'll preface this by saying that every corps sounded pretty much perfect, almost all dirt and possible release problems were masked by the acoustical nightmare that is KMHS gym and the fact that the corps weren't moving. There is no way anyone could get an idea of which corps were actually the best. That said, here is my opinion of the brass books, from favoristest to least favoristest, although any subtleties in the arrangements were pretty much covered up (this is almost worthless in judging which corps actually has the best show, but whatev):

Crown: excellent arranging, entertaining from beginning to end. I hear tell that crown can play the book while moving. If thats true, ####. The singing is very well done, but didn't get a single clap. If you do it that well and the crowd still hates it, maybe you should cut it? I guess people hated Star `93 too, so maybe leave it in, but the only hope for acceptance I foresee is in posterity. Obnoxiously high-pitched and loud feedback made an appearance as well.

Magic: Very entertaining and doesn't let up, though it also doesn't have anything to really make it special other than just being loud and exciting. For some reason I don't see it translating well to the field, but it sounded great indoors. I'm sure Boston has the better show but, like I said, all I can really judge is the music itself.

Boston: Very entertaining and much more innovative than magic, I want to see the show. The brass and percussion books are very cohesive and add to each other a great deal. Couldn't understand much of the miced voice, but what I did hear made me cringe. Hopefully because I heard it out of context, but I'm not hopeful.

Spirit: Cavies little brother, seems to me. Got bored during the first half. But the last 5 minutes or so is consistently good, and very unique at that. What separated sprit last year was that they were so much louder than everyone else (and with pretty good tone), this may again be the case, but who's to tell in a gym where everybody is too #### loud?

Crossmen: It's not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a definite step down from their last arranger. I don't think I get it, but I 'm very bitter about the staff changes as crossmen have produced two truely memorable tunes in "Count Bubba" and "In the Heat of the day" the last two years. That time is over.

Court of Honor: This is what convinced me that the gym was hiding too much. They can't possibly be that good. I really enjoyed the show a lot. In a gym it didn't sound all that different from the Div 1's.

Corpsvets seemed to play really well, but I was in the acoustically worst possible place to hear their performance.

I hope the kennesaw show in july doesn't rain out...

Edited by daniel2e

The CorpsVets are hosting a Drum Corps Associates (DCA) South show in Rockmart, Ga on the 10th of July. Come on out and have a blast! Go to www.corpsvets.org for details.

It was meant as a compliment, even standing still in a gym I did not expect them to sound that good. I'm sure they aren't bad, but I'd be interested to see how much of that transfers to the field.

All in all, I was really impressed anyway by a really entertaining brass book.

FYI, the show in July is at McCeachean HS, not Kennesaw. This is Spirit's Atlanta show.

The Atlanta Brass Classic will indeed at held at McEachern High School on Thursday, July 15.

Tickets available from www.dci.org or 1-800-495-SHOW

Lineup:

Court of Honor

Marion Glory Cadets

Troopers

Seattle Cascades

Carolina Crown

Bluecoats

The Cavaliers

Spirit

The stadium at McEachern High School is surfaced with SprinTurf-- we're looking forward to a great night for drum corps! :-)

The McEachern show will hopefully have better weather luck than Kennesaw! Saw the field at Kennesaw and its definately had better days. The gym thing was actually interesting. I've never been in a winterguard but I'm assuming that its kinda like that. The crowd seemed to like us though :)