Best Baritone Soloists

Mahler

I'll add a couple of my favorites:

--Jay Wise, Bluecoats baritone soloist in Take 5 in 1988

--The dude that played the bari solo for the Devs in '88...it wasn't entirely technical, just real tasty!

Bugs Bunny

Yup, that's what I was thinking. Of course, I hated him when he marched Pioneer and they were beating us all the time, but in 88, I found a new respect...

1. Pooh Bear

2. Ed Irwin from Bridgemen in 72 and 73 that played the solo in Free

3. The ex-Racine Scout who joined Troopers did the Scarbourgh Fair solo in 1969..was killed in a car accident after the season. Can't remember his name

4. Bryan Aller--60's Kilites...undefeated in solo competition

5. Mike Phillips--Cavie's 73--he line in the begining duet

6. John Georgeson--Madison 74....his solo in God Bless The Child...awesome!

7. John Cassell--Kilties--one of the sweetest tones I've ever heard

8. Dave Lang--Colts...wow

9. There was a guy in Hurricanes in the late 60s...can't remember what he soloed in though

10. What Terri said--the guy from Guardsmen that did the Watrousesque solo in Tiger of San Pedro

Edited by FrankBeMe
  • Like 1

My all time favorites are 1994 Magic of Orlando -- the 2nd one (that gets the close-up on the broadcast -- right before drum solo).

1996 Hawthorne Caballeros (Spanish Fantasy) -- Andy Grilk and Mike Winfield.

Oh and one of the guys in 1993 Blue Devils during Strawberry Soup that does a lip trill that BLOWS MY MIND -- during the rifle toss.  (I'm a geek).

And any SCV Baritone in the late 90's...

Ok, I am a sucker for baritone players... especially my husband.  :lol:

"Greatest Bari Soloists":

Hawthorne's Kent Pennel, mid 1980s soloist on "Maleguena".

A few others who have performed brilliantly "Way back when" (considering what they had to work with in the way of instruments) include "Rugi" Rogoletti of the Cambridge Caballeros, John Magnifico of St Kevins Emerald Knights, the bari trio from the Chicago Cavaliers mid 1960s "Tiger Rag" set, John "Baby John" Chalmus of the Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights, and Bob Gaff of the Baltimore Yankee Rebels.

Quite possibly the best of best is John Simpson. He made quite a name for himself with the old USAF "Blue Eagles" from Washington DC back in the late 1950's and early 1960s. He was recorded by Fleetwood (Along with super soloist Tommy Martin on Soprano bugle) for a featured solo spot, perfoming "Rhapsody In Blue", on the 1962 recording of the New York Skyliners "Portrait in Brass" album.

There are many more, I am sure, but these names come come to mind.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

Looks like I've got a lot of baritone players to check out:

1. This Pooh Bear guy

2. 93 Blue Devils guy

3. 74 Madison GBTC

4. 78/79 Guardsmen

• Like 1

Since I got involved with drum in 1976, I have heard many, many baritone players. Jerome Kimbrough is simply the best I've heard.

I do like Brian Law, though...and since he likes Philadelphia teams, I may just change my vote.

Nope...it's Jerome with no doubt.

1. Pooh Bear

2. Ed Irwin from Bridgemen in 72 and 73 that played the solo in Free

3. The ex-Racine Scout who joined Troopers did the Scarbourgh Fair solo in 1969..was killed in a car accident after the season.  Can't remember his name

4.  Bryan Aller--60's Kilites...undefeated in solo competition

5.  Mike Phillips--Cavie's 73--he line in the begining duet

6.  John Georgeson--Madison 74....his solo in God Bless The Child...awesome!

7.  John Cassell--Kilties--one of the sweetest tones I've ever heard

8.  Dave Lang--Colts...wow

9.  There was a guy in Hurricanes in the late 60s...can't remember what he soloed in though

10. What Terri said--the guy from Guardsmen that did the Watrousesque solo in Tiger of San Pedro

:lol:

Frank - I will concur with #'s 2, 5 and 8...along with Pooh Bear. But I will always hold a spot in my heart for my long time friend ( and you only thought he played sop) Roger Grupp of MBI!

He was an incredible bari player before switching to soprano. His solo work during the 70's and early 80's was fabulous. He could play the high notes with POWER!

I will always give Mike Phillips grief for going to Contra when he marched with us in '90. Just one of those bari things, I guess.

And who can't love "Poontang" Lang?

Pat

Since I got involved with drum in 1976, I have heard many, many baritone players.  Jerome Kimbrough is simply the best I've heard.

I do like Brian Law, though...and since he likes Philadelphia teams, I may just change my vote.

Nope...it's Jerome with no doubt.

I must agree with Bob .... Jerome Kimbrough is one of this activities best baritone players