Saints

Hey Jim,

One of the things I recall about playing horn with Tom Swan as instructor was his keen ear. We'd be practicing in the corps hall, and Mr. Swan would be in front of the sopranos. A baritone all the way on the other side of the room would hit a wrong note or have a tempo issue Mr. Swan would go flying across the floor pinpointing the player that was not correct telling everyone else to stop playing, then telling the baritone player to play solo and Mr. Swan would correct him. Ensemble would begin again as Mr. Swan stood in front of the corrected baritone who would focus (or be in fear) and play it correctly. It wasn't pretty if he had corrected you previously and you made the same mistake again....

Hi Judy,

Yeah, he did that to me a few times! My girlfriend at that time Donna Stratton who marched Mellophone with the Saints warned me about that! :P Still had to learn it on my own though. The one thing it taught us though was that we had to practice and know our music inside and out. No one had ever done that with us before. We were really motivated to do it. Glad to here Mr. Swan is doing well. One of the greats IMHO.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Rocky,

Yes I do remember you and your brothers. Tell them I said hi. Both my brothers marched in the Saints...Tommy in the drum line, Michael played soprano.

My husband and I met while marching in Garfield. Our children, (Nicole 18, Gregory 14, and Laura 12) have grown up with drum corps. Our two oldest children marched with Carolina Gold (an All-Age, previously known as Senior corps, in North Carolina) in 05 and 06. It's still a great activity that fosters lifelong friendships.

Over the past two years, we have competed up north and we've had the opportunity to talk with Mr. Swan and Althea. Both look great and are involved with the Skyliners.

Hi Judy,

That's right I forgot about your other brother Michael I remember now.

Glad to see your still involved with Drum Corps. My brother Gary and I went to a show years ago I think it was in PA some were with Jimmy Piccola It was great, we met up with a few Saints at the show.

I use to shoot wedding photography and one night the band that was doing the wedding, I looked up and Jim Brady was in the wedding band. I gave Jim my number and he called me to do some photos of him for a CD he was doing. Have not seen him since then.

I thing he move to FL. but not sure.

Rocky

Edited by Rocky Chiocchi

Hi Judy,

That's right I forgot about your other brother Michael I remember now.

Glad to see your still involved with Drum Corps. My brother Gary and I went to a show years ago I think it was in PA some were with Jimmy Piccola It was great, we met up with a few Saints at the show.

I use to shoot wedding photography and one night the band that was doing the wedding, I looked up and Jim Brady was in the wedding band. I gave Jim my number and he called me to do some photos of him for a CD he was doing. Have not seen him since then.

I thing he move to FL. but not sure.

Rocky

Because I have stayed involved in drum corps, it's been easy to keep up with people. Jim is currently living in TX.

WOW, The Saints were before my day...but I have heard the corps. I did not realize the great people who came out of that program. The present day jr corps in NJ are carrying on the great tradition. All local Saint alum should check out what is going on in NJ now.

Wow Fran...you and I could play 6 Degrees, all those years of knowing the same people without knowing each other. Maybe if you were wearing your tradmark shirts back then, I may have recalled you being around the Saints. :) We'll talk this summer.

I began my drum corps career in 1973, so I don't recall competing against Sacred Heart, sorry.

Yeah.... we (Crusaders) didn't see the Saints at many shows.... once in a while at an Eastern States/Garden State "combo" show or at the AL States in Wildwood. And from 1974 on, the Saints were at a much higher competitive level than we were. So we were pretty easy to forget!!!! :P

Fran

Yes quite true but you are in the past years, When I first was in the Saints I remember George Lopez was the Drum Line instructor and I do Remember Gus working with Tommy Swan, and Bob Metelsky if I am spelling it right as the Drum Major. I use to date Sue Hickey's sister Carol Hickey and lived 1 block from them. Drum Majors Sue Brady and Sue Hickey came in the later years.

Rocky Chiocchi

George and Bucky did a few corps together....I marched in the Livingston Imperial Guardsmen in 68 and 69, and they were our drum and brass guys too.

I used to date a gal in the Saints, around 1972-73, named Doreen Derlak, from Colonia. She played soprano, I think.

I remember the 76 show especially, as George Tuthill invigted me to come down. My Way was a very nice chart, and the Grieg was OK.

George and Bucky did a few corps together....I marched in the Livingston Imperial Guardsmen in 68 and 69, and they were our drum and brass guys too.

I used to date a gal in the Saints, around 1972-73, named Doreen Derlak, from Colonia. She played soprano, I think.

I remember the 76 show especially, as George Tuthill invigted me to come down. My Way was a very nice chart, and the Grieg was OK.

Mike, yes your right I remember Doreen Derlak she did play soprano, First soprano thiat is.

Rock

Nice to see this thread resurrected after all this time!

Mickey,

How are you doing. I still play percussion with the Mercer County Symphonic band...are you playing anywhere?

We have a young woman trumpet player who aged out of Surf a couple of years ago in the band now as one of two 'drum corps vets' in the band. We have a boat load of trumpets...and five tubas!

Mickey,

How are you doing. I still play percussion with the Mercer County Symphonic band...are you playing anywhere?

We have a young woman trumpet player who aged out of Surf a couple of years ago in the band now as one of two 'drum corps vets' in the band. We have a boat load of trumpets...and five tubas!

Hey Mike! Things are good in sunny South Florida! Have not found a place to play that compares with the Mercer Band. Hope you are doing well!