Saints

I just happened to come across a recording of the Saints from the 1975 DCI Semi-finals. I think they finished 19th that year. They just totally blew me away, wow, what a hornline. I see that they are listed in corpsreps.com for the years 72,75,76 and 77. Also Alan Chez is listed as a Soprano from 1969 to 1973.

Anyone have any further information about the Edison Saints? I would also be interested in preserving any recordings of any other years besides 1975. there has to be some interesting history associated with the Saints, like how long were they in existance and why did they break up? Did the other Jersey corps gobble up the membership? I know Chez ended up in Garfield. I am sure Bridgemen and Muchachos had an effect also.

Please tell us your stories.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was marching as a member of the Silver Lancers (Dunellen, NJ) in 1972 and the Saints were one of our biggest competitors. It was the Monarchs (Wayne, NJ), the Saints, and the SIlver Lancers who were going neck to neck in the indoor circuit that year. Unfortunately, the Saints always seemed to be getting into fights with another corps. However, even at my tender age of 10, I remember the Saints being an awsome corps, especially the horn line. I think I may even have some old recordings on cassette of those contests. They were awesome!

What's an "indoor circuit"?? You mean you guys had drum corps shows inside? Inside what? A gym?

You mean "Blast" ISN'T the first indoor group?? :)

I just happened to come across a recording of the Saints from the 1975 DCI Semi-finals. I think they finished 19th that year. They just totally blew me away, wow, what a hornline. I see that they are listed in corpsreps.com for the years 72,75,76 and 77. Also Alan Chez is listed as a Soprano from 1969 to 1973.

Anyone have any further information about the Edison Saints? I would also be interested in preserving any recordings of any other years besides 1975. there has to be some interesting history associated with the Saints, like how long were they in existance and why did they break up? Did the other Jersey corps gobble up the membership? I know Chez ended up in Garfield. I am sure Bridgemen and Muchachos had an effect also.

Just a follow-up. Since I wrote the original post I was able to find a teriffic mp3 of the 1976 Saints. IMHO the horn line was even better than in 1975. What a shame they didn't survive. In another time and another place, this corps could have been one of the top contenders, but unfortunatly look at all the great corps we had in that era (75-76).

What's an "indoor circuit"??  You mean you guys had drum corps shows inside?  Inside what?  A gym?

You mean "Blast" ISN'T the first indoor group??  :)

Ahhh... so much to learn grasshopper, there were indoor drum corps circuits, yes; in gyms; that most of the corps were part of during the winter......... In a time so long ago..........

This is a 'blast from the past". I used to date a gal from the Saints back around 72 or so.

Also, I remember one year they had Tom Swan on horns and George Tuthill on drums...an odd couple, to be sure! Did Grieg's Piano Concerto in A minor as their opener and "My Way" as the closer.

Mike

• 2 years later...

I am Mark Chiocchi (Rocky) and belong to The Edison NJ Saints From 1968 -1976

I was a Solo Soprano for the last 6 years of my 7 years there. My 2 brothers were in the Saints as well Gary Chiocchi (Ragu) Snare Line and Kenny Chiocchi (Pebbles) Second Soprano.

Tom (Bucky) Swan was the Horn Line instructor and George Lopez was the Drum Line instructor, then we had a new Drum Line instructor come in but don't remember his name, he came from another Drum Corps.

Ralph Fair was the Drill Instructor. We had 2 corps. reunions a long time ago one at Mike Wargo place and one at the old annex in Fords NJ.

Can't seem to find anybody anymore.

Rock

Edited by Rocky Chiocchi