Why all Mellophones?

randomnoise

I never had a problem playing French Horn in Renegades as a matter of fact I had been told by Nalls many times to quiet down, because I was over playing the horn line... LOL!

If you listen to the Renegades 2000 show you can hear the one and only FH...

Yea, but I don't live in California... Anymore, anyway...

Having switched from Euphonium to French Horn to Mello. I can give this insight. French horn is a lot of work for not much(quantity) of sound. The mellophone is so much easier to play. You can play 2x's as loud with like 30% the effort. Not that I care for the tone of the mellophone.

And then there's the economics. French horns costs more, and the ones currently being produced for marching are not improvements on older models. Not that I've played the 3 valve version, but just looking at it, a square tuning slide? Why not give it a square bell too, since you don't intent to sell any of them. The instrument has enough resistance from the bore size, it doesn't need it in the bends of the tubes too. IMHO

I never had a problem playing French Horn in Renegades as a matter of fact I had been told by Nalls many times to quiet down, because I was over playing the horn line... LOL!

If you listen to the Renegades 2000 show you can hear the one and only FH...

Nalls told you to quiet down because Munson is older than you. Gotta respect your elders. ^0^

My comments are based on the premise that not everyone in the brass section practices daily. Some folks can get away with doing that sort of thing - especially in "all-age" and alumni drum corps where life's other responsibilities have higher priority. Not so with a frenchie. If you don't put in the time, your ensemble life will be full of cracks and intonation issues.

When you played on that King, you were probably on the best performing frenchie of the post G-D era. It sure is nice when you don't have to fight the plumbing.

I'll leave the potential double entendres alone. :rock:

Yeah, the instrument can make a huge impact, as can practicing every day. But hey, we didn't need to practice. B)

bump

• 6 years later...

I've seen Blessing F marching horns, but don't know anything about them.

They are terrible instruments. Absolutely horrible. Hate, hate, hate. Fourth space E is ridiculously flat.

• 9 months later...

Why has the all-Mellophone midvoice section become the prevailing standard?

Are we going to let the mid-80s Garfield Cadets and the early 90s Star of Indiana rule drum corps orchestration forever?

Arrangers - write for French Horns and Flugels, too!

Wonderful timbres await you.

we still have our old french horns in he string closet in our school, but they're super old Kings and so old that you can bend the bell by hand easily, into a mute pretty much

I just assumed that the horn was no longer being manufactured.

well kanstul still makes a french horn i know that.
  • Like 1