some old corps photos

This is after St. Lucy's got rid of the girls guard.

These are great. From my time. Please post more if you can, and thank you for the memories.

Got rid of the girls' guard? Wasn't that going against the trends of that day? Garfield and Blessed Sac, among others, went from all male guards to coed during this era.

Alberta All Girls at Edinburgh Festival 1973 (courtesy of Toronto Optimists Alumni website; thank you T.O.)

AAG_1977_fromTOwebsite.jpg

Wonderful photo!

Got rid of the girls' guard? Wasn't that going against the trends of that day? Garfield and Blessed Sac, among others, went from all male guards to coed during this era.

St. Lucy's dropped their girl guard after the 64 season ... Garfield added girls in 69 ... BS in 71 ... Lucy's last year on the field was 69 ...

:-)

Not sure why they made the change. Maybe they though that would be a step in the right direction, to be like the other kids on the block like Sac, Garfield, Cavaliers. There were certain corps that just looked right with what they had. SAC always looked like the guys belonged there, where St. Kevins and Boston Crusaders wouldn't look right without the girls.

Now if Audubon had switched to guys, that would've been another story.

I took a plane from Toronto Pearson to Chicago O’Hare 1974 and/or 1975, either fall or spring, for a conference/symposium at a hotel with glass elevators in the atrium, where lots of drum corps folks got together and shared information for 2 or 3 days. I felt out of place as I was one of the shortest people there but once I stood at the podium/lectern and presented my speech, as it related to colour guard, I felt OK. I liked my visit(s) to the City of Chicago.

The 2 green machines of the late 60’s were of 2 shades of green, a subtle difference; both were at some contests together but not often. I think I saw both corps on the same day once. That’s all I remember from way back when. Let’s fast forward to the present; all the best to those auditioning over the next few weeks/months.

The Royal-Airs, mid sixties

1966-04.jpg

In the upper right-hand corner is the OLA flag, carried to honor the victims of the 1958 Our Lady of the Angels school fire. Three charter Royal Airs members were lost in that tragedy. Every year since then, the corps members and alumni have assembled at the cemetery on the anniversary of the fire to pay their respects. Last December, the current hornline performed "I'll Walk With God" and "Abide With Me" at the SRO 50th anniversary High Mass.