some old corps photos

The Royal-Airs, mid sixties

1966-04.jpg

Note the lettering ROYAL-AIRS on the bass drum. This is why alumni Larry Caro insists that is the proper spelling of the corps' name.

But who is concerned about a hyphen, when the drum has at least 20 extra lugs ?????

I took a plane from Toronto Pearson to Chicago O’Hare 1974 and/or 1975, either fall or spring, for a conference/symposium at a hotel with glass elevators in the atrium, where lots of drum corps folks got together and shared information for 2 or 3 days. I felt out of place as I was one of the shortest people there but once I stood at the podium/lectern and presented my speech, as it related to colour guard, I felt OK. I liked my visit(s) to the City of Chicago.

The 2 green machines of the late 60’s were of 2 shades of green, a subtle difference; both were at some contests together but not often. I think I saw both corps on the same day once. That’s all I remember from way back when. Let’s fast forward to the present; all the best to those auditioning over the next few weeks/months.

well then maybe you should come back and visit again and see the city again... I'm pretty sure a lot has changed since 1975... :thumbup:

I'm sure I could scrounge up some Chicagoans... and few nearby Chicagoans... (Boo, Obrien, Avery - former Cavies) to take you for an Al's Beef Sandwich or Portillo's... or Ditkas... er somethin... eh? and talk drum corps again.

Edited by GGarrett

In the upper right-hand corner is the OLA flag, carried to honor the victims of the 1958 Our Lady of the Angels school fire. Three charter Royal Airs members were lost in that tragedy. Every year since then, the corps members and alumni have assembled at the cemetery on the anniversary of the fire to pay their respects. Last December, the current hornline performed "I'll Walk With God" and "Abide With Me" at the SRO 50th anniversary High Mass.

God bless the lost souls. This is a tribute that you only hear about in drum corps. Brings a tear to my eye reading how the corps still takes time to remember each year.

well then maybe you should come back and visit again and see the city again... I'm pretty sure a lot has changed since 1975... :thumbup:

I'm sure I could scrounge up some Chicagoans... and few nearby Chicagoans... (Boo, Obrien, Avery - former Cavies) to take you for an Al's Beef Sandwich or Portillo's... or Ditkas... er somethin... eh? and talk drum corps again.

Ditka's is gone...Iron Mike's Grill is more upscale.

The Cavaliers, mid sixties

1966-03.jpg

Interesting ... never noticed the 1st National Bank of Chicago sponsorship on their bass drum back then ...

:-)

The Royal-Airs, mid sixties

1966-04.jpg

So ... maybe one of the RA people on here could comment about the different uniform? The satin blouse in the pic is not the cadet style jacket they started wearing 63-68 ... any ideas?

:-)

The Chicago Royal-Airs bass drummers and the cymbal players usually wore satin blouses for various reasons. But not always.

Ditka's is gone...Iron Mike's Grill is more upscale.

And Tommy! (not a former Cavie, though... :thumbup: )

Ditkas in downtown is gone now? I was just there last year with Jeff Ream. Too bad. We have (had?) a Ditkas here by my house in Oak Brook, IL, I wonder if IT's still there... Hmmmm.

Note the lettering ROYAL-AIRS on the bass drum. This is why alumni Larry Caro insists that is the proper spelling of the corps' name.

But who is concerned about a hyphen, when the drum has at least 20 extra lugs ?????

What's the story on the bass drum? Was it a custon drum? I've never seen anything like it.

Man....changing that head must've been an all-day job! And tuning? YIKES!