some old corps photos

could this be a very early picture of the Mariners' guard?

Sure is. Look closely, the drill team in squads of three is behind them. And that's Doc Patin himself, marching to their right.

Edited by HornsUp

I was lucky enough to see them in 1968 at the North American Invitationals in Toronto. Vanguard's 1968 show that year was, in my opinion, one the best products ever to grace a football field. That show in Toronto was recorded, not by Fleetwood, but by another company who I think put out a much superior product with far better sound quality. I think it was Super-Records(?)...they did a few drum corps recordings in that era including the Shriner's International and I believe they were a local Toronto company. If you compare them to Fleetwood I think you would have to say they were a much better product...

Hmmm....I have a 1971 Shriners LP with Garfield...I'll check who did the record..I recall it being excellent quality.

Looking for some help here. I found this in some of my Dad's slides. I'm not sure of the unit - could this be a very early picture of the Mariners' guard? It was taken in the summer of 1961 at the parade for the Wisconsin State American Legion Convention in Waukesha, WI.

Hope this adjustment helps a little with identification:

11-25-2009_268_2.jpg

Sure is. Look closely, the drill team in squads of three is behind them. And that's Doc Patin himself, marching to their right.

Assuming this actually was taken in 1961, would Doc be in this picture? My brother, Bob, a Mariner alumnus from the 1970s, mentioned to me that both Doc and Carl Last went to the Kilties around this time.

Assuming this actually was taken in 1961, would Doc be in this picture? My brother, Bob, a Mariner alumnus from the 1970s, mentioned to me that both Doc and Carl Last went to the Kilties around this time.

Doc was the Kiltie corps director in 1961, but bailed in the spring of 1962. (In a previous era, he was the Kilties' drum instructor.) He continued to lead the Mariners.

Carl was CG Sgt in 1961, and moved to DM in 1962-63. Carl marched in 1961 with both units.

Doc often marched with his kids - if not, member Doug Klipfel called cadence.

In 1962 Doc was laying the groundwork to convert the Mariners drill team to a drum corps. He tried, 100% unsuccessfully, to recruit the core members of the Kilties.

BTW if you're hanging around the cathedral in Milwaukee nowadays, you might run into Monsignor Carl Last. And maybe Father Bob Anello?

(deleted post)

Edited by byline