Why match?

JazzBari

the switch to match was to create a more unified sound in the line. rumor is they are also trying to get the drums to tilt forward a bit. the other thing is that traditional actually makes no sense at all because it is not used anywhere outside of the marching arena. you don't use it in a concert setting, or on a kit, or anything else. the other thing I do know is that SCV apparently did not have that many kids go out for the line once the news of playing match got around. but to each his own.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As alluded to earlier -- I think the "coolness" goes in waves. Whichever is not the predominant method for a while becomes cool looking because it stands out. Much like uniform color -- everyone wears white so black looks cool; then everyone wears black and suddenly a corps dressed in white is strikingly cool.

I've seen many "lefty" set players play traditional backwards just as you describe. Or, set their sets up "backwards"

No doubt. My point was that drum corps snare lines are all "right handed" if I may use that term. Horn players, too, for that matter. You don't see some guys holding their sticks or horns one way and the girl next to him doing the opposite. It can't be that only right-handed players need apply. Lefties adapt and still display that skill, speed and ability to which you refer. I don't doubt that way back when, at some point snare slings could have been designed to tilt towards to left or towards the right and the standard was set based on a right handed bias (like so many other inventions, like scissors and adding machines !!!!), but the inherent purpose of differing grips between the hands was still dictated by equipment rather than strength. Lefties have simply learned this way and are at no disadvantage having done so.

Edited by Liam

rumor is they are also trying to get the drums to tilt forward a bit.

This would be cool. Not sure if it's an attempt to create a more comfortable position, but it will also give us a chance to see some of the movement around the drum head that is going on.

the other thing I do know is that SCV apparently did not have that many kids go out for the line once the news of playing match got around. 

That's interesting. It's amazing that playing "traditional" has gotten so entrenched in this age group (since, as you noted, there really is little practical reason for it anymore) that a top corps like SCV with their drumline reputation would have a dropoff.

the switch to match was to create a more unified sound in the line.  rumor is they are also trying to get the drums to tilt forward a bit.

No rumor, just check out the SCV vids camp vids.

I've seen many "lefty" set players play traditional backwards just as you describe, and , set their sets up "backwards" as well. It's an interesting topic, and you make some good points. When Im play set I use both grips, depending on the musical style. Sometimes matched feels more comfortable, but traditional feels the most natural for me on snare, concert or marching. Maybe I just too old and too set in my ways.  :P

You and me both :P

I first learned traditional, too (although in high school, we marched with matched grip !!!) and I much prefer it as well. I do find, though, that when I get tired, I will switch between the two often -- sometimes even employing the "lefty traditional" you mentioned. Guess some of those muscles don't have the stamina they used to :P

...the other thing I do know is that SCV apparently did not have that many kids go out for the line once the news of playing match got around...

Yeah, that's what I heard. But they still had enough talent turn-out to fill the line. So they may have had 100 snare drummers audition instead of 300, it's no big deal.

SCV's drum staff can take kids of average talent and turn them into some of the best drummers ever to set foot on a football field, so I'm not really concerned with the lower than enormous turn-out.

the switch to match was to create a more unified sound in the line.  rumor is they are also trying to get the drums to tilt forward a bit. the other thing is that traditional actually makes no sense at all because it is not used anywhere outside of the marching arena. you don't use it in a concert setting, or on a kit, or anything else.  the other thing I do know is that SCV apparently did not have that many kids go out for the line once the news of playing match got around.  but to each his own.

Actually a lot of jazz drummers still play traditional behind their bands and most big band drummers still play traditional too.

SCV's drum staff can take kids of average talent and turn them into some of the best drummers ever to set foot on a football field, so I'm not really concerned with the lower than enormous turn-out.

Me neither, but all the more reason why it's interesting (disappointing ??) that so many kids felt it wasn't appropriate for them to try out simply because of a grip change. (If, in fact, that was the reason for the lower than usual turnout)

Edited by Liam